Wheel Cylinder shim question

SRSANDS

So today I started to install my new wheel cylinders on my 510 and I ran into a couple of questions. First question I have is.....once installed with the three shims on the back of the new cylinder is it suppose to be held firmly in place or move side to side slightly? With the shoes installed will it hold them to the forward positon on their own? I got the first one installed in ten minutes not paying atention to the fact that it slide left to right slightly.....the second one was another story. Me an my buddy spent two to thre hours trying to install it....WTF. First of all the aftermarket shims are complete flimsy dog shit and the good thick stock ones wont fit. Second of all the machined groove on the cylinder meant to hold the three flimsy shitty shims wasnt big enough so I had to file it to make it work. Then my buddy and I thought they shouldnt move at all but to be on a firm position so we spent hours trying to get the shims to hold them tight. Please let me know one if they move a bit and second if anyone has had a problem with the shim groove???? tHANKS:confused:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So today I started to install my new wheel cylinders on my 510 and I ran into a couple of questions. First question I have is.....once installed with the three shims on the back of the new cylinder is it suppose to be held firmly in place or move side to side slightly? With the shoes installed will it hold them to the forward positon on their own? I got the first one installed in ten minutes not paying atention to the fact that it slide left to right slightly.....the second one was another story. Me an my buddy spent two to thre hours trying to install it....WTF. First of all the aftermarket shims are complete flimsy dog shit and the good thick stock ones wont fit. Second of all the machined groove on the cylinder meant to hold the three flimsy shitty shims wasnt big enough so I had to file it to make it work. Then my buddy and I thought they shouldnt move at all but to be on a firm position so we spent hours trying to get the shims to hold them tight. Please let me know one if they move a bit and second if anyone has had a problem with the shim groove???? tHANKS:confused:

The shims and locking plates are curved slightly to provide a spring like tension on the wheel cylinder when installed to hold it firmly in position, but still allow it to slide side to side to center itself once the brakes are applied.

The 510 and 521 are very similar. I've worked on the 521s mostly. I would say that when installed, the wheel cylinder should not be loose but very firmly in place. Brake force will easily center it in the slot. Once centered it doesn't move other than for normal pad wear. (if at all)

They are a bitch to install, (which probably means you are doing it right and they are snug) and I have even broken the knob off that the shim/clips hold to.

Edited by datzenmike