Fan/Alternator Belt on 720

1Blue720

Hey! I've been having on and off belt noise the past couple weeks, sometimes dead silent and sometimes absolutely screaming. I've both tightened and loosened the belt - but nothing seems to help. When it's quiet everything is great, but it'll just start making noise out of no where. 

I decided I'm just gonna replace the belt and I was wondering what other people are using for their belts. Most of what I'm finding online is either AutoZone brand or out of stock. 

Any advice is also welcome!!! 

Thank you! 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a Gates belt earlier this year and it fits perfectly. I'll get the part number when I return to SD this evening. The fan/alternator belt is not as wide as the one on the power steering pump.

Setting the tension is a little tricky since there's no adjustment screw like on the power steering pulley.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Sephakrid said:

I picked up a Gates belt earlier this year and it fits perfectly. I'll get the part number when I return to SD this evening. The fan/alternator belt is not as wide as the one on the power steering pump.

Setting the tension is a little tricky since there's no adjustment screw like on the power steering pulley.

Thank you Sephrakrid! 

I recently put on a Dayco alternator belt. The alternator on my truck looked like it had been replaced recently. The existing belt was riding very low in the pulley, and it always screeched on startup. The new Dayco belt was wider than the belt that was on, but it too rode very low in the pulley and squealed at startup. I pulled the alternator and replaced the pulley with a Powermaster, and all screeching stopped. That was two months ago, and no issues since. I bought the Dayco on eBay from sixityauto. Gates belts are great, and I put one on the power steering pump.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, iflyfisher said:

I recently put on a Dayco alternator belt. The alternator on my truck looked like it had been replaced recently. The existing belt was riding very low in the pulley, and it always screeched on startup. The new Dayco belt was wider than the belt that was on, but it too rode very low in the pulley and squealed at startup. I pulled the alternator and replaced the pulley with a Powermaster, and all screeching stopped. That was two months ago, and no issues since. I bought the Dayco on eBay from sixityauto. Gates belts are great, and I put one on the power steering pump.

Thank you iflyfisher! What Gates belt did you get for the power steering pump? 

It stopped making noise earlier today before I could test if it's really a belt or a pulley but I will update when it starts making noise again and I can test it. (The test Datzenmike recommended) 

4 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I use a 60 amp.50 is not enough for mine.I have a A.C.Next time you need one get a 60 amp one,same price.I noticed a lot of my electrical stuff was not working like it should with a 50 amp one.

Will do! I have A.C. too but it doesn't work (neither does the heating) I think something is up with blower motor but I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet lol 

On 9/14/2024 at 12:20 PM, 1Blue720 said:

Hey! I've been having on and off belt noise the past couple weeks, sometimes dead silent and sometimes absolutely screaming. I've both tightened and loosened the belt - but nothing seems to help. When it's quiet everything is great, but it'll just start making noise out of no where. 

I decided I'm just gonna replace the belt and I was wondering what other people are using for their belts. Most of what I'm finding online is either AutoZone brand or out of stock. 

Any advice is also welcome!!! 

Thank you! 

I just went out and checked my belt. It's a Gates 7365

• Like 1