Datsun b210 questions

I’m looking into restoring my dads 1974 Datsun b210 4-door needs a lot of new interior parts and exterior I was wondering if you guys know where I can get parts also engine and transmission ideas

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Find and buy a parts car for the interior. Wrecking yard seems unlikely. Try the Classifieds?... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Stick with the stock A14 and 4 speed and rebuild it or a later A15 from a 210. The '79-'82 210s also had 5 speed options if you drive on the highway a lot. Otherwise it won't get much use.

Maybe a 32/36 Weber carburetor and replace the exhaust system with something 1/4" larger diameter with a turbo muffler.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Jose m said:

I’m looking into restoring my dads 1974 Datsun b210 4-door needs a lot of new interior parts and exterior I was wondering if you guys know where I can get parts also engine and transmission ideas

Be aware if it is a 1974 4 door it will have some single year only items. Now most are interchangeable with later years but not exactly the same. For example, aside from the A13 engine and H145 diff, the interior is also a little bit different (vinyl on the b columns, paper later etc....). The wiring is also quite a bit different including some of the connectors.

The 4 door is also the least sold model. So you likely might have to get a little creative finding some parts. 

Feel free to ask any questions you need and good luck!

Source: I've owned a 1974 4 Door B210 since 1999. 

• Thanks 1

Many Datsuns were this way. It's well protected in an accident from the sides by the rear solid axle and the trunk is a good crumple zone. Rather a '74 B-210 than a '74 Pinto.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Jose m said:

Why does my Datsun have the gas tank in the trunk 😭 gonna be a hard to get it out lost the keys for the trunk any ideas to open it ?

Datsun locks are a bit of a joke. Any thin metal key will likely open it.

OR on the inside of the glove box is the key code to get a new key cut if (it is the original lock). A locksmith should be able to cut a new key based on that code. My local locksmith charged me $20 to do this.

• Thanks 1

Turns out rats 🐀 chewed up most of the wiring harness 😢 so going to have to rewire everything, Do you guys know what wiring harness to get? And also were can I find parts to rebuild the a13 and transmission?

On 7/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, Dguy210 said:

Be aware if it is a 1974 4 door it will have some single year only items....

...The wiring is also quite a bit different including some of the connectors.

Wiring will be found on another B-210. There are some universal wiring kits, good luck with those.

Most engine parts can be found at any auto supply stores like NAPA etc. Transmission might be easier to just replace with a used one.

Perhaps find a parts car with both.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Wiring will be found on another B-210. There are some universal wiring kits, good luck with those.

Most engine parts can be found at any auto supply stores like NAPA etc. Transmission might be easier to just replace with a used one.

Perhaps find a parts car with both.

9 hours ago, Jose m said:

Turns out rats 🐀 chewed up most of the wiring harness 😢 so going to have to rewire everything, Do you guys know what wiring harness to get? And also were can I find parts to rebuild the a13 and transmission?

You're probably better off just rewiring it to fix the harness. The 1974 harness is very different, some of the generic engine and accessory stuff is similar but overall the wiring is pretty simple for the engine bay. How bad is the harness under the dash? The fuse box sits under the dash on the drivers side. While rewiring it go to a relay setup for the headlights hi/lo beam as they run direct on/off power through the fuse box and it tends to melt it a bit, just use that circuit to switch the relays and keep it low current. 

For example, the later years have a whole relay box in the engine compartment that the 1974 doesn't use. Also, the 1974 has a ignition seatbelt lock out control box under the passenger seat that won't let you start the car unless the seatbelt is used, this is almost always already wired around as they were so universally hated that although it was a Federal requirement for 1974 public backlash was so bad it go removed at the Federal level by 1975.

The 1974 wiring harness connectors are different in that they are actually BETTER than the other years. Same with the interior trim. It was reduced in quality as a cost cutting issue (as outlined in the 1975 B210 service manual update). 

How bad is the engine and transmission before you go tearing into them? The A13 and A series engines are pretty durable and the transmission unless completely worn out or outright broken is usually more loud than doesn't work. I'd put rebuilding the engine and transmission as a low priority and just see if you can get them running. If the wiring harness is completely shot to just test the engine you basically just need power to the coil (1974 is a points car so clean up the points first) and to get the starter turning over. I can't remember if 74 had an anti-dieseling solenoid on the carb or not. 

If you're in Clovis in Ca you'll probably want to look more south for parts. A parts car would definitely help, even though I've talked about the differences most of the parts can still be "made" to work for other years and will be as close to bolt-in as you will get. Note: the 4dr sedan interior is 4dr specific too. The doors are different length from the sedan and hatchback and the hatchback uses a different setup for the rear diff. 

Edit: You might want to check out this Facebook group for parts. I'd say only deal with individuals though and ignore any "datsun parts group" type spam messages. Lots of people in California selling B210 parts. 

DATSUN B210 OWNERS AND LOVERS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3062715386/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=10169298052230387&__cft__[0]=AZX-E2czWcvAwgPAqdxtirSCjbq7tpuNlPMXrNpozudd7Drt_MhBBbBnQtelJpUCuIAuriL3_IFAa4oKBgIPV7r1ApL6M6jSCSqN7BQfpl8VB-Rt2Q2FrP5mwiFv71VnEPDIQkaMP2unC8kEy0eX-FXOogSPM-Foecz8ifCYGnJvmpfRsxemEuVGA7ZMF2u6fVWJhWaCkq13TS1m8I-_TUce&__tn__=-UC%2CP-R-R

Edited by Dguy210
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jose m said:

There is no fuse box under the driver side the only fuse box I could only find one in the engine bay

Double check the driver's side door jam info plate for year and model. There is no STOCK fuse box in the engine bay of a 1974 B210.

b210.jpg

• Thanks 1
Just now, Jose m said:

Ok I found it it was in the floor ripped off 😢 

Rn I’m getting the engine out just need to take off the drive shaft and than it’s ready to come off

• 4 weeks later...

Hey mate,

lately I’ve been using the buyee app to search for b210 parts on yahoo Japan 

shipping can be expensive and some parts can’t be shipped but most body parts, trim, wheels, badges and things can.

i warn you, it’s addictive. Especially if you come across classic Japanese  wheels

i recently got myself a grille, wheels and sunny badge 😁

45 minutes ago, Jose m said:

Do you guys know how to take off the drive shaft only thing I have to take off to remove engine and transmission I’ve been slow on the build because of school 😔

4 bolts on the end of the driveshaft that hook it to the differential. Save the bolts as they are specialized. Driveshaft will then slide out of the transmission, try not to let the shaft end hit the ground. Put a rubber glove or plastic bag over the machined surface when it comes out to prevent scratches.

On 7/23/2024 at 9:58 PM, Jose m said:

go to car-part.com and they should have some stuff, you'll have to send a lot of emails and make a few calls but its cheaper than anywhere else