Air Conditioning for the modern age

I see the last time anyone posted about A/C for this car was in 2017, I think now's a great time for me to poke some brains.

Here's what I'm working with:

- My '75

- Uncertain bracket from an '81 donor car's trunk

- Previously A/C equipped '74 in a junk yard

First thing I need to know: I have the cabin portion of the unit, I have plans to get the condenser today and possibly the York compressor and bracket (since it's guaranteed to fit, it's on the junkyard block right now)

About that cabin unit; there are 2 or 3 wires coming from the controls that go to the engine bay, one is black and the other one or two are light blue and a heavier gauge. In the interest of time, I just snipped them from within the cabin (this is AZ summer we're talking about). I have doubt about the count because one of the two thick blue wires is folded back around the other and wrapped in electrical tape.. I'd like some help figuring out what they may go to. I have a rough idea and could figure it out but haven't even had time to clean teh sand and dust off these parts yet.

I had an '81 parts car for about a year and got the engine and trans from it. As stated, there is a pracket that somewhat resembles a comresspr bracket but the tensioner is nothing like what Datsun1200 shows, it doesn't even have a pulley on it. I have my doubts there.

Also from the parts car is a bracket and vacuum motor on the carb for a throttle opener, which will do nicely to increase engine RPM with compressor load. I plan on using a normally closed vacuum valve and just wire it inline with the A/C clutch circuit. I have yet to study adjustment so it doesn't climb to redline.

Lastly, I'm wondering if it could be cost effective to try and rebuild the York compressor (guaranteed fit) instead of getting a new compressor designed for the 280Z from ZCG (despite pulley options, uncertain of alignment)

As for the condenser setup, my car came with the RPM-limiting clutch and 7-blade fan. I've recently replaced the fan clutch as well to be safe. My temps did stay a tiny bit lower on a test drive yesterday, but not by a whole bunch. It was sitting perfectly at half before, now it's just a tad below., Good to know it can still run close to temp with that clutch out lol

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a small modern compressor and build your own bracket. The modern compressors are far more efficient and can produce better results in a smaller package with less parasitic loss.

Same goes for the under dash unit. Using an aftermarket system with built in heater and AC is more compact. Vintage Air has printable diagrams of all of their units. Print them out and take them to the garage and see which one would fit the car best.