Ka24 nissan caravan auto head gasket help needed

I have a blown head gasket and I thought I would try myself as no one around had time. wish I hadn't 

I have now got to stage of timming chain and the yellow marks on chain to do not align with the marks on cogs - this is before removal - not re fit so for sure they are correct but why cant I line up these marks or how to do it 

and also how to remove the chain ? I have to unbolt the chain tensioners ? still wont give enough to remove chain over cog 

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's nothing to worry about. There are roughly 100 links in the chain and only 44 between the marked links. The crankshaft sprocket has 20 teeth. As soon as the engine was started those marked links will only align every 5? rotations. Something like that.

1/ Lock the engine so it can't rotate and only loosen the cam sprocket bolt. It's VERY tight.

2/  Set the engine to TDC compression stroke on #1 cylinder. Hopefully the timing cover is on and you can use the ignition timing marks for this.

3a/ Before removing the cam sprocket bolt and the sprocket, mark the chain and a sprocket tooth so it goes back together the same as when it came out. Or do you have the timing chain cover off?

3b/ If timing cover is off, (and you are at TDC)  just remove chain and when installing it just line the links and dots together.

4/  Once head is off do not lay it with the valves pointing down turn it on it's side. Some of the valves will be open and they are easily bent. Do not rotate the cam as it is timed to the engine.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. 
Good chat on IG 🙂

Mike, did you know the truck KA24DE have an external oil pump like the single cams? 
I just learned this lol

image.thumb.png.c52e4959efda1bd5ff65b5686b086244.png

your all very kind and j2deye online also 

all covers are off - but chain has not yet been removed .

how does one lock the engine ? 

so my plan is to line the two dots at the top as the photo I was sent and the botton should be on TDC. - I presume there  is a mark to line on the bottom also .

then to paint and mark chain. - and remove the tensioners and then remove something else ?? tp get chain off 

then remove cam caps and head bolts ,

I stick a large screwdriver through the openings in the cam sprocket and rotate till us seats. With the timing cover off you may have to put back on loosely and put the crankshaft pulley on in order to set TDC after loosening the cam sprocket bolt. I suppose once the head is off you could move the piston to the top of the bore and this would be close enough.

5 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Welcome to the forums. 
Good chat on IG 🙂

Mike, did you know the truck KA24DE have an external oil pump like the single cams? 
I just learned this lol

image.thumb.png.c52e4959efda1bd5ff65b5686b086244.png

Oh yes. All truck KA24E and KA24DEs had the high volume external oil pump. Only the KA24E on the '89-'90 240sx had the external pump All later S13/14  KA24DE were internal. The KA external oil pumps are high volume output and fit all L and Z series engines. I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

I had just assumed all dual cams were internal oil pumps... 

There should be flats on one of the cams to use an adjustable wrench on. 

From the service manual 
image.png.113a4a3723634cdae729cfd5fcc26328.png