Oil Spindle question

Is the oil spindle the same from a Z24/Z28 motor prior to 1985 and a L20B or Z20,Z22, Z24 motors?

A couple Z28 oil spindles are listed on Ebay, but no returns.

I want to install a Z20 or L20B point distributor into a '92 KA 2.4 motor 

Thank you

Jim

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last L6 cylinder was '83 in the 280zx and '84 in the Maxima.

The L24, L26 and L28 oil pump/distributor spindles are the same except for the L28ET or turbo engines. I don't know what or if there is any difference with them so just avoid them.

Were those the brass gear ones everyone wanted for racing? It's mentioned page 8 of the How to Hot Rod and Race Your Datsun. The most common later number for the L series spindle is 15040-21001 but I found an even earlier number for the 510 which was the earliest L4 15040-73400 and it's not used in the later '70 521 L16 engine. The How to Hot Rod and Race Your Datsun also lists this number. It has a picture of the spindle gear as larger (and steel) but the matching smaller diameter worm on crankshaft that is brass. It says that the later smaller steel worm and larger steel spindle will wear more and the brass is best for racing... call me crazy but I would think a soft brass worm is really going to wear driving a steel spindle and may be why Datsun changed them to all steel.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The L24, L26 and L28 oil pump/distributor spindles are the same except for the L28ET or turbo engines. I don't know what or if there is any difference with them so just avoid them.

OK I'll keep looking for the Z20,Z22 or the Z24 spindles and stay away from the L24 and L28 spindles.

Thank you

No I said:

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

So how does soft brass against hardened steel wear less??? I guess there are hard brass alloys, like the bronze valve seats?

If both gears are hardened they will only wear against each other if the load is extreme. Twisting the oil pump and distributor isn't what I would call a load. An electric drill will easily spin the oil pump up.