N at the beginning of VIN

I have an NL320 that I got a number of years ago in Washington. I moved to Nevada 4 years ago and finally got around to trying to transfer the title. I really want to get this thing running and on the road.

The problem is that the VIN inspector noticed the the title said NL.... Where the VIN plate under the hood says L.....

They of course would not allow me to transfer the title due to the mismatch.

Does anyone have an NL320 with an N at the beginning of the VIN? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The standardized VIN only originated in '82? Before that all auto makers had there own vehicle identification 'codes'.

The L was for Left hand drive

N ... body style?

G320 was a long wheelbase truck.

U320 was a double cab

V320 was a van/ three door station wagon?

The L320 is likely cab and bed separate.

image.jpeg.b1c3ef65cbd01c89d2a10bb151e4d9bb.jpeg

The '63-'65 N320 is described as a "Sports Pick-up" with one piece bed and body joined. Only 1,000 made so rare. This look like it?

It's a metal plate isn't it? attached with screws. Go to a machine shop and borrow a letter punch.

No, there are better ways of handling bad paperwork. Have you ever used a title service? I use a guy in the SF south bay area that handles all of my title transactions, most VIN verifications and all of it done by email and mail.  I can give you his contact info if you'd like.

The number plate on the truck should read the same as the title, but if it doesn't, it's not a problem with your truck. It's a problem with the paperwork. Let me rephrase that. I'm assuming that the rest of the vehicle numbers read the same. Right?

And yes, a L320 was a separate cab and bed. An NL320 had a unitized body. Which one is yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I knew the difference in the two versions of the truck. I definitely have an NL320. 

You could give me the guys contact info. We are currently in San Jose, the truck is still titled in Washington.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any pictures of it online at the moment, but I have a video on YouTube.

• Like 1