620 Gauge Removal

RyanC

Is it easy enough to remove the gauges without removing the whole dash? 

I have no Speedo fuel and temp gauge 

Have connected Speedo into back...new tank sender read here about the wire at back of temp and fuel gauges that needs attention.  Hoping it's easy fix.

Fuses test okay.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check the fuse first. 10 amp I have no idea which on as all Australian are mirror image backwards to ours. I just hold a quarter coil against the fuse clips and wait to see if the gauge starts to work.  

Fuel and temperature gauges are powered by the same source a small voltage regulator in the temperature gauge. The regulator provides a steady 8 volts so the gauge reading does not vary with a non charging system 12.6v and a running engine 14.3v. If both gauges are not working the voltage regulator is suspect as the cause. The regulator has points that open and close and can become corroded. A strip of light emery cloth pulled through them usually works.

image.jpeg.d0ae3c4b0be386ca643ffa2cd1e93cca.jpeg

With ignition on, grounding the temperature sender to the head will cause the gauge to read full HOT. Grounding the wire to the fuel tank will read FULL.

Speedometer...

Disconnect the transmission end of the speedometer cable and pull the inner coiled cable out. Have rags or some container to collect it and keep it clean. It's likely oily and very slippery. The inner cable is square where it enters the gauge. There is a good chance the cable may be broken and that should be obvious. Replace the entire cable. If the inner cable is good thread it back in and twist the end to thread it into the speedometer. Have someone watch the gauge while you quickly twist the transmission end. Try both directions. Your assistant should see the speedometer needle jump. If it doesn't that the speedometer may be faulty or jammed.

Thanks Mike.  Have tested sender and fuses so next into the cluster.  It has sat for whon knows how long maybe 20 plus so I'm guessing corroded points. 

I can live with no Speedo and fuel but temp is required.

This is my exact problem right now. I didn't realize the front bezel comes out on its own so I ended up pulling the whole dash. Unfortunately cracked 2 of the screw mounting points for the cluster, since mine has self tapping screws and the plastic is old.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.