Heater Core Compatibility Question 1983 to 1985

MaxG

I know heater cores are already covered on multiple threads, but I couldn't find an answer to the following question. Feel free to point me towards another thread if it's already been covered. 

But, will a 1983 720 heater core work in a 1985 720? I have the 1985 720 before they switched body styles in the later half of the year.

I was able to get an all metal 1983 heater core, but I believe the one in my truck has plastic ends. Also, the angling of the metal where the hoses fits on looks slightly different, but the core itself appears to be the same dimensions. Before taking apart my whole dash I was hoping to get an answer on whether or not it's worth a try to use the 1983 in my 1985.

Here's a photo of the 1983 core I have for reference. https://imgur.com/QFN7D2d

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The after market ones don't fit in the box good and causes problems.I ended up getting a custom made heating and air cause I could not find a heater core.Best thing I did to my 85.That may be what I had in mine.You will have to rig it to make the control cables work or it will get hung up.They don't last long , get pin holes in it and your windows will fog up and will leak on your carpet.I put many in mine.It is a job doing it.You will need to put new gaskets between the boxes to seal it to keep air from coming out.The old ones will be dry rotted.Good luck.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Their is a heater core and box on Ebay for sale by someone I know.It is listed for a 83-86.His is the original heater core.You can go check it out and see the plastic ends on it ,your's will cause the cable to get hung up.The plastic ends screw it to the box,your's will move up against the cable,and bind it when you try to move the switch to turn it to get coolant thru the heater core.The core you have will not bolt to the box and stay in place.He may have a used oem heater core for sale.Send him a message.I do have pics of mine when I done it.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Right now I totally bypassed the heater core so it's running fine, but I was hoping to get some heat in the truck. Sounds like it may not be worth the trouble though. I was hoping with some rubber insulation I could stick this one into the box and it'd work well enough