Swapping a z22 for a z24

Pigwarrior

Hi sorry if this has already been asked I could not find it anywhere though, I'm trying to get my very first car a datsun 720 2.2 1984 petrol running and I suspect it will need a rebuild (over 430k kms). When I got it I got most of a z24 engine came with it out of a forklift. I was wondering if there would be anything that needs to be changed in the car to swap to this engine as I would like to stay on a tight budget so if I have to switch a lot of stuff around I wouldn't bother and if theres any tips out there. Any thoughts or advice greatly apricated. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ To be clear you have an '84 Z22 or 2.2 liter and you want to replace it with a Z24?

2/ Any chance this Z24 was an automatic??? If yes you may need to put a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft.

The lift truck oil pan may be different so put the Z22 oil pan and pick up tube on the Z24. Or it might come without. That's really the only difference, well other than the Z24 is 2cm 3/4" taller, but it's a truck so probably lots of room. Z22 engine brackets will fit the Z24 block and definitely fit the rubber mounts.

The Z24 has likely got a 240mm flywheel and matching clutch and pressure plate. Use your 225mm Z22 flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. The release bearing and collar on the transmission is intimately matched to it anyway. If you could get the correct collar you could keep the 240mm flywheel and parts, again likely, on the Z24.

The Z24 exhaust manifold should be the same as the Z22, but you have the Z22 manifold if not.

Lift truck throttle linkage or cable may be different but once again you have the one from the Z22.

Starter the same. Radiator hoses in same location as Z22

Anything that might not match that was on the fork lift you have on the Z22.

• Like 1