Ripped hose, what does it do and should I care?

NewDirection

Hello everyone,

Please see attached a pic of a hose that is ripped. It goes from the bottom of the air filter housing to the engine.

1. What does it do? does it adverely impact engine performance? I suppose it takes in unfiltered air which isn't great.

2. Can I replace it with a length of modern rubber hose found on most cars today?

Thanks everyone!

NewD

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 No picture....but I betcha, that it is a PCV hose and it supplies filtered air to the engine.  W/O that hose, the PCV system will suck in unfiltered air to thru the engine and then into the intake.  That would be bad for your oil and bad for your rings (assuming that the dirt makes it that far).

All of the above is based on what you said as there was no picture...a hose from the air filter housing to the valve cover.

2  Assuming that you are talking about the oil resistant hose that DM mentioned, yes.  You should be able to find it at any parts house.  That said, last time that I was at Oreilly and Autozone, they didn't have 1/2" hose in bulk.  But, Oreilly had a pack w/2' in it.

The PCV will also reverse air flow under certain conditions and blow out the valve cover. To prevent oily messes and fumes the end of the hose, being inside the air filter, directs these fumes to the carburetor opening where they are sucked into the engine and burned. It's fantastic system to remove water, oil and gas vapors from the engine and flush with clean filtered air. Oil stays much more cleaner and the change interval can be greatly extended.

Before the early 60s the crankcase was vented through a pipe down the side of the engine by the oil pan and vehicle speed caused a very slight vacuum to maybe suck the fumes out. It was called a 'draft tube'. Any guess what that dark line in the middle of the lanes were in this '50 photograph is?

image.jpeg.6087ee2a8da513be748d2b19e9d2ff47.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.17043a88e95858848714d79632ceab01.jpeg

Ahhh that's the 'stove pipe' and transfers air warmed by the hot exhaust manifold up to the ATC (air temperature control) on the air filter snorkel. The ATC mixes ambient air with the warmed air and maintains it at around 100F with feedback from a sensor inside the air filter using a vacuum signal.  Even in winter the engine thinks it's August and runs more consistently. Warmed air will also not cause frost to form on carburetor parts called carburetor icing. This happens in damp air near and below feezing.

For this you do need a special metallic or foil lined hose. Most auto supply stored have replacements. Get the diameter or take it with you. You could try duct tape or that self adhesive aluminum muffler tape.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...