What radiators fit a 84 720 datsun dual cab 2.5l SD25

bucky96

Hi,

I have been woodcutting recently and went to pull a log and unfortunately the clutch fan hit the radiator and done a bit of damage. I'd like to replace it and was thinking about doing an aluminium and shroud fan instead of clutch fan, but now I'd like to keep the clutch fan however I am struggling to find radiators that fit the dimensions.

The measurements of the one I currently have are

L 698.5mm

W 63.5mm

H 457.2mm

The top hose is on the left side and bottom hose outlet is on the right side.

Any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated. I do plan on turboing and adding an astra pump too.

I have located a corolla 12 inch 3 row radiator which frees up heaps of space but I don't know if it will have enough flow.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a 3row of eBay for cheaper you'll get anywhere really and they tell you if it will fit. You may need to drill some extra holes to mount it correctly thought but I haven't had any problems out of it and it's full aluminum 

Just now, builte said:

I got a 3row of eBay for cheaper you'll get anywhere really and they tell you if it will fit. You may need to drill some extra holes to mount it correctly thought but I haven't had any problems out of it and it's full aluminum 

Sorry for my spelling errors I just woke up.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the rad in my 83 720 with one from a 94 Acura integra If memory serves.. I've posted about it in other radiator threads If you want to verify. The inlet and outlet are in the right place and it fits the small dimensions. It's thinner than the one that came out and it's set up to mount on the wrong side but that wasn't hard to solve and it hasn't overheated. Been on there maybe two years now I think. How I arrived at that particular model is I measured the old one and the opening it goes in then went to advanced auto and made one of the employees there dig until he found me one with the right dimensions and inlet outlet positions. But that's what you get for not carrying the radiator I need you know. 😉

Edited by None_zero

I have a 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab SD25 turbodiesel truck I made, originally I used the J block radiator when it did not have a turbocharger, when I installed the turbocharger I modified an L block radiator, then at some point I started having issues with that one as it started getting warm, I next used a Volvo Wagon cross flow radiator, this one has no mount brackets, it has sort of U shaped brackets with rubber inserts that the radiator sits in and it has 2 more to hold the top in place as you can see in the photo below, another thing is it has no radiator cap, so I put one in the upper hose(see photo).

DSC00405.JPG.6b975ac29a10d017d5399483656ba729.JPG

Obviously I had to mount the brackets holding the radiator, it was not that hard, there is way more room in the 720 engine compartment, this radiator works great and was worth the effort to install it, I have not had any cooling issues since.

That said putting a turbocharger on the SD22/SD25 is not something that can be done lightly, it is not something that can be loaned out to someone that has never had a turbocharged engine not made at the factory, Exhaust Gas Temperatures(EGTs) rise fast and can easily get over 1400 degrees, they can get over 1400 degrees without the turbocharger, just floor it going up a slight hill for a couple minutes, I have done this to see just how hot a SD25 engine will get, so far I have not melted anything, but I have come close on one trip, it did not run properly when I got to the top of the pass, but going down the other side it cooled off and I still had the same engine I had when I started up that pass, if it had been turbocharged without any gauges I would have melted that engine and been stuck a 1000 miles from home, I got lucky that trip, it is hard to say how hot the EGTs were being almost floored or floored sometimes for over a half hour, my coolant temps were  very close to the RED!