How far must I go to pass emissions??

dioxgra

new poster here. am now an owner of a 1979 b310 wagon.. (hey I promise it's cool) but am getting pretty stuck attempting to restore the emissions systems. I have two boxes of emissions components, but both are different and incomplete. passing smog where I live is a must, but all the time I've sunk into figuring out what parts I would need- let alone figuring out the vacuum lines has made my motivation crawl to a frustrating halt. I've been told by some people that having an exhaust shop weld in a cat or two would waive all reasons to keep the emissions and vacuum system as a whole. I like this option, and likely wouldn't delete ALL the vacuum, but would i still need to run my air pump, EGR, charcoal canister, etc.. with those cats to pass? any resources you can suggest or personal experience to share, i'm all ears!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful of what the 'experts' tell you. Some inspections include a visual. If something missing, no matter what the readings are, it's a fail. Contact the Arizona emissions and find out what's required.

I would start with a Nissan FSM (factory service manual) for your year of 210. Not a Chiltons nor a Haynes but a Nissan publication. They are often for sale on e bay... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154804025837?chn=ps&norover

$28...

1979 DATSUN  310 Model N10 Series Car Shop Service Repair Manual  -Original - Picture 1 of 3

This will have all the pollution equipment, how they work, where they are, how to test them etc.

Many years back the guys were looking at stickers and routing, but now most smog guys came up after the age of carbs so really don't know what they are looking at.  As long as it makes the numbers and looks pretty stock you usually get a pass.  Expect them to check the EGR valve to make sure that works.

In fact, on my 210 wagon, I swapped an air-injection motor out for an air-induction motor as part of a complete drive-train swap and didn't get called on it... yeah, no smog pump, no problem.  I did put a nice new cat under it so it was burning really clean, which can't hurt.

Contact the smog checking authorities for information about your vehicle. Surely every vehicle after 75? in California, they know what the pass/fail is. As far as carburetor vehicles I could care less how a pass is achieved as long as it passes. But they may see it differently. It's illegal (a federal offense but up to the state to enforce but seldom done) to modify the emissions package and that means removal or substitution of parts. Some may enforce this, some may not. 

I can't see other than a visual inspection, how an inspector can say if the EGR is working or not.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, datzenmike said:

I can't see other than a visual inspection, how an inspector can say if the EGR is working or not.

They test it because it's so easy: disconnect the vacuum line going to the EGR valve, plug the engine side, hook a hand-pump to the EGR valve and while idling the vehicle apply vacuum to the EGR valve.  If the vehicle dies then the EGR valve is working.

AT least that was the testing protocol in California.

There are only a couple counties in AZ that do smog checks of any kind, this leads to a lot of folks having vacation homes elsewhere in the state.

Edited by pdp8
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I guess that proves the valve is operating but what if the line from the exhaust is rotten and leaking ambient air in.

Then you have an exhaust leak under the hood.

Do they test every eventuality, of course not, just the common ones.