What can I do to get more power out of my z24?

Berkybot

I am a newbie “car guy” and new to Datsun/Nissans so anyone who responds please remember I’m not an expert mechanic. I have an 84 small cab 4x4. Original bed has been replaced with custom flatbed. So far I have put a Weber carb on as well as new headers on. Runs much better. It’s got about 170k miles and recently had a blown head gasket which seems to be a common z24 problem from what I’ve read. Old owner had cheap ratty glass pack exhaust that a sawsall took care of. Now it has about half the exhaust length but a new muffler because it is a daily driver and it was just a bit too loud. Just replaced plugs as well. Did front calipers and ball joints a week ago. TLDR car has had some basic refurbishment but no crazy mods. I’m interested in making this truck a little quicker and more of a fun car than a daily driver. Right now I’m looking at the engine specifically; I’m sure the motor is a little tired and it could use a pick-me-up. Turbo is way out of my league I can’t really fabricate anything real complicated. Looking for relatively budget mods or replacement parts that will give it a bit more kick. Any suggestions?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helpful if you put your rough location (even just the state helps) and the year of your 720. This will show on every post and won't have to be asked.

Assume this is a 32/36 Weber? This is an excellent choice for a bit more power though you have to be careful of counterfeits out there. There isn't much to do but the worst thing is to start pulling the emissions equipment off as you can add problems. At at full throttle none of the emissions is working or none that affect running.

With a good carburetor and exhaust flow I guess you could look at a modest cam up grade to take advantage of this.

The preventative for the Z24 blowing head gaskets is to once a year when engine is cold, loosen one head bolt and torque to 60 foot pounds. Only when tight, loosen the next bolt and tighten it. You can do in any order you like as long as you do it one bolt at a time.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Berkybot said:

I am a newbie “car guy” and new to Datsun/Nissans so anyone who responds please remember I’m not an expert mechanic. I have an 84 small cab 4x4. Original bed has been replaced with custom flatbed. So far I have put a Weber carb on as well as new headers on. Runs much better. It’s got about 170k miles and recently had a blown head gasket which seems to be a common z24 problem from what I’ve read. Old owner had cheap ratty glass pack exhaust that a sawsall took care of. Now it has about half the exhaust length but a new muffler because it is a daily driver and it was just a bit too loud. Just replaced plugs as well. Did front calipers and ball joints a week ago. TLDR car has had some basic refurbishment but no crazy mods. I’m interested in making this truck a little quicker and more of a fun car than a daily driver. Right now I’m looking at the engine specifically; I’m sure the motor is a little tired and it could use a pick-me-up. Turbo is way out of my league I can’t really fabricate anything real complicated. Looking for relatively budget mods or replacement parts that will give it a bit more kick. Any suggestions?

Need to get exhaust out from under bed. Mine's rotted bad from previous owner running without tailpipe. Exaust's ACIDIC!

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Helpful if you put your rough location (even just the state helps) and the year of your 720. This will show on every post and won't have to be asked.

Assume this is a 32/36 Weber? This is an excellent choice for a bit more power though you have to be careful of counterfeits out there. There isn't much to do but the worst thing is to start pulling the emissions equipment off as you can add problems. At at full throttle none of the emissions is working or none that affect running.

With a good carburetor and exhaust flow I guess you could look at a modest cam up grade to take advantage of this.

The preventative for the Z24 blowing head gaskets is to once a year when engine is cold, loosen one head bolt and torque to 60 foot pounds. Only when tight, loosen the next bolt and tighten it. You can do in any order you like as long as you do it one bolt at a time.

Oil under bolt heads?

Good tune up is crucial . Watch out for vacuum leaks around the carb - especially with the adapter plate . 

Do a compression check to see if each cylinder is healthy . 
Get a wideband sensor installed to make sure your AFR’s are within reason . These engines run good with a lean burn . Webers can be tuned with jetting .