starter noise

I have a Datsun l1600 in my 1926 Model T. The car sat for almost 29 years. I got it running and now the starter makes a clashing noise like it's not meshing with the flywheel. It doesn't happen all the time. But I would rather fix it and not be stuck on the road. I assume it's the starter. Maybe the solenoid not totally engage. What do you all think? And I forgot to add its a manual transmission behind the l 1600.

Thanks

Jerryt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Borrow a remote starter switch. It connects directly to the battery and with a push button start the engine. Try multiple starts and see if this prevents the clashing sound. If it doe,s that would indicate to me that the start signal voltage from the ignition switch is low. This sometimes happens on old vehicles. The easy fix is a 'hot start relay'.

If it doesn't improve then the solenoid may be bad or worn. The solenoid can be replaced separately if you get one off an old starter. ebay has them, well ebay Canada... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285075370061?fits=Make%3ADatsun&hash=item425fd0f04d:g:6~gAAOSw6ABjmUPN&

I don't have much faith in cheaply made rebuilt starters. But that is also an option.

I had something similar to this once. The bushing at the end of the starter gear had become out of round and induced a lot of shaft play. 80% of the time it started just fine, the rest of the time, it sounded like the starter wasn't fully engaged and then sometimes it would bind up and not start at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 5:48 AM, jerryt said:

I have a Datsun l1600 in my 1926 Model T. The car sat for almost 29 years. I got it running and now the starter makes a clashing noise like it's not meshing with the flywheel. It doesn't happen all the time. But I would rather fix it and not be stuck on the road. I assume it's the starter. Maybe the solenoid not totally engage. What do you all think? And I forgot to add its a manual transmission behind the l 1600.

Thanks

Jerryt

The clashing noise could indicate that the starter gear isn't engaging smoothly with the flywheel teeth. This might be due to wear on the starter gear or misalignment between the starter and flywheel. It's possible that the gear teeth have become worn or damaged over time. Your assumption about the solenoid not fully engaging is valid. A partially engaged solenoid can cause the starter gear to not extend fully and mesh properly with the flywheel. This can result in the clashing noise you're hearing.