Vacuum advance, engine timing, and intake one spark plug...

None_zero

Ok So, I'm trying to understand how all this works and I'm a little stumped. So the issue I'm having is that when the vacuum advance is capped my intake side spark plugs start to fire irregularly and sort of look like Morse code. With the timing light hooked up the number one intake plug will flash for a few seconds and then go dark for a few or in some cases just stop flashing altogether. I noticed that when I reattached the vacuum advance this stops and the number one plug fires regularly and the timing light flashes. But if I'm supposed to have the vacuum advance capped while setting the timing this presents a real problem. I suspect that something about the way my vac lines are set up is still wrong but I don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Most of the vacuum system is capped/deleted but I don't know enough about it to know which lines would cause an issue like this 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disconnect the single wire plug on the distributor harness. This disables the shut off feature on one side of the plugs.

There should be no vacuum advance at idle so leave disconnected for now. Connecting it is adding more complexity to the mix. Once running properly it can be connected and if it is at fault it will be obvious.

Try the timing light on the number one exhaust side plug wire. Does it act the same?