Best master cylinder for 620 brake upgrades

SWFL

I'm planning to upgrade the brakes on my 620 in the near future. I will be running rear discs of some type. Not sure what they will be yet. I might run a Toyota rear axle.

For the fronts I want something vented and larger than stock diameter. I'm not looking for racing brakes, though. I'd like 15 inch rims to fit. If 14s won't fit, that's not a problem. The rears don't have to be crazy big, I just hate drums and swap them to discs any chance I can.

What's the best OEM type of master cylinder and brake booster to use?

Has anyone tried running RX-7 or 944, 4 pot fixed aluminum calipers? How about 2nd gen 300ZX calipers?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the '83 and up 2wd 720 front brakes. Many have swapped this onto the '78-'79 620 disc brake trucks. They have larger calipers and vented rotors. You have to swap the front spindle also I think. Used on the '86- '92 2wd 4 cylinder D21 Hardbody. The VG30 powered 2wd of the same years is even heavier duty with dual piston calipers. wayno on here has done the VG brake swap.

The 720 uses a 15/16" master but it's not a bolt on to the 620 booster. If you can find a '79 or '80 280zx or 810 master this will match up and work. Only the 280zx had rear disc brakes so if all you find is an 810 master the rear residual valve will need to be changed.

• Like 1