'70s, '80s & '90s Aftermarket cruise control kits

SWFL

I never bought them new, but used a few that I picked up from the wrecking yards. Surprisingly they worked very well on my 1st Gen CRXs. The reason I'm asking is I'd like to add cruise control to my 620 and I'd like to keep it period correct. I don't want a new current kit like a Rosta.

I found a few Sears kits, but I'm not sure if they usually come with the speed sensor, or was that a required add on/option? The kits I put in my CRXs used a speed sensor that plugged into the speedo cable, which was spliced IIRC. Kinda awkward, but it worked. I remember reading about them in the JC Whitney catalog, and they used a pickup coil that was triggered by a magnet attached to the drive shaft. I can't remember if they were listed separately or came with the kit.

If anyone can remember ones they might have used back then, what brand was it and did they come with a coil pickup, magnets and the mounting brackets?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember much about the ones I put in back in the mid 80's, but I think they could be connected to either a tach signal to maintain the rpms or the magnet and pick up for the drive shaft.  The mag/pick up was used with and automatic tranny.  I'm pretty sure they came with the pick up and parts.  No clue on brand.  We only had real film and prints back then that weren't that cheap....so definitely no pics of anything from back then.  I don't even have pictures of every car/truck/motorcycle I've owned...which is over 90?  Anyway......

• Like 3