5 speed 2wd transmission oil capacity 2L/qts or to the bottom of fill hole?

SWFL

I drained my transmission and refilled it. Seems like it took approximately 3 qts to the bottom of the fill hole, with the truck somewhat level. 2 qts came out of it. I haven't driven it after, as I'm planning to drain and fill the diff. I noticed in my owner's manual it lists the 4 speed at 1.7L and the 5 speed at 2.0L.

I have no idea if it's the original transmission or even from a 620. 

What brand and viscosity oil do most here use for their diffs & transmissions? 

I've had good results with synthetic oil but it may start to seep out the rear seal.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holds 2 liters which is 2.11 US qts. (3 1/4 Pts.) Fill till it runs out the fill hole. NEVER over fill by forcing oil in. This leads to excessive foaming and it blows out the vent tube. If you managed to over fill, park level and open the fill bung till it equalizes.

GL-4 around 90 weight is good to 100F. If it never goes below 50-60F you could run 140.

Do NOT use GL-5 no matter what the kid at the counter says. It must be copper alloy or 'yellow metal' safe.

• Like 1

3 qt. is 50% more so I don't know what to say.

Fill hole is half way up the side. I use a couple of feet of garden hose and a dollah store kitchen funnel. I run the hose down the starter side (some are on the left side so down the steering side) of the engine and into the fill hole, let the car down level and fill till it runs out. Jack back up, dribble stops, pull hose out and I fit the bung in and tighten.

Unlikely. The 2 liters is for the FS5W71B. This is the 620 5 speed as well as the 280z, 280zx, 810/Maxima, 720, S110  and S12. There are other 5 speeds that could be used in the 620 but not a direct bolt in.

You said 2 qts. came out and it 'seemed' that 3 went back in.