Fuel Iine/Return Line ?

benzo

Hi Everyone. Happy New Year. I wanted to ask if some can help ID this Fuel Line.  I don't remember as it's been long but I believe this is a fuel return line or a vent? Pretty much I accidentally overfilled my tank and fuel came out of it and into my engine compartment. Luckily I didn't drive far and noticed it and for the interim capped it and ran the car a bit to burn off some gas in the system and un capped it. I had searched for old posts and saw one where someone said don't cap it as it is a vent but can someone refresh my memory if this is a return line to the carb and should I just leave it since years past I never had an issue. I am looking to make a catch can for it just in case but need to find a way to correct this issue so I don't overfill the tank as the pump didn't stop and I stopped it when I noticed the pump kept going.

Sorry I am running twin sidedrafts if that matters in regards to a return line. 

Thank you

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The vent is high above the tank so gas can't be expelled from it, and it goes to the flow guide valve above the steering box on the left strut tower. It's likely the return. Not all 510s had this and it's safe to cap it off. What engine and carburetor do you have? Post a picture of the fuel line going to the carburetor.

Thanks Mike! Appreciate your reply and info. I still have the flow guide on the strut tower. For now this line in the pic is capped off to prevent any future leaks when I fill up or accidentally overfill. I am using twin sidedrafts and just have the fuel line from the pump to the first carb and the carb feeds the second one and it ends there.