Trans rebuild

Greaser2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has a bolt on removable oil pan on the bottom.

Waffle pattern on the main body.

One piece front bell housing and main body bolted to the rear tail stock. No adapter plate sandwiched in between.

'A' type shifter outside the transmission at the very rear.

Speedometer on left side

Lf7AWKG.jpg

NBsQkCv.jpg

2 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

I can see the starter is on the passenger side. The R16 411 has starter on driver side.  But could be a modified version.  

R16 and R20 starters are on the left side. Engine must be something else. Got a picture? Should look like this...

Valve cover held on with two fasteners...

http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/IMG_0044.jpg

The F4W63 was used on L, J and Z series engines. It a simple matter of changing where the engine bolt pattern and starter go on the front case. The R16 made about 97 hp which is well within the capability of the F4W63... if it is the F4W63

From front to back....

32272-14600... also common to the F4W63 in the 521/510/610/710 the 63A 5 speed in B210/S10/A10 and 71B in the Z cars and 620 truck and more...

32616-14600- unique to the 311

32264-14600... also common to the F4W63 in the 521/510/610/710/early 620 the 63A 5 speed in B210/S10/A10 and 71B in the Z cars and 620 truck and more...

That shaft with the half moon wear on it is the same shaft for all F4W63 4 speeds. My manuals show some with a hole and a pin for it, some do not.

Most early Datsuns used Borg Warner 35 automatics. The April '71 510 was the first use of the 'in house' JATCO 3N71B automatic.

I don't think any of the F4W63 are Borg Earner units themselves but they probably use Warner or Warner style synchronizers. I think that is what the W in F4W63 stands for.