instrument bezel reproduction

ducky

Hey guys. I want to gauge interest in a group buy for the gauge or dash insert, or instrument bezel, or whatever you want to call it...

There's a company literally two buildings down from where I work that's able to take a mold of the good bezel I have and turn out around 25-30 or more of them from the mold.

Pricing is around $3000 for the mold making and any adjustments if we want spots with reinforcement or whatever, and then likely around $250-300 per unit. I know I paid $300 for a good bezel, but I know it's going to break soon from age.

Let me know thoughts please, and share with whoever you think would be interested.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of material would the reproduction units be made from? If from fiberglass I would be interested in at least one. depends on the final price.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
5 hours ago, 620slodat said:

What kind of material would the reproduction units be made from? If from fiberglass I would be interested in at least one. depends on the final price.

Don

Not fiberglas as far as I'm aware. They said there were a bunch of options to choose since the mold would be silicone. I would obviously choose the most durable to uv and heat cycles.

Why fiberglass?

Fiberglas is only because I know it can be durable, especially if painted. If there is something else that is at least as durable, or more durable, than fiberglas I'm interested in learning.

Don

Nice! I know they mentioned urethane, but kind I said, they told me they have a bunch of options. Obviously, anything made today is going to be much more durable than the Japanese plastics of the 70's.

Hoping anyone else cares about this, as I really want to get it done, but don't want to have to front it all myself.

If we get these and are happy with them, it'll open the door to more reproduction pieces made right here in Ohio.

I might need a full dash also. I have a 1977 king cab that needs a floor, and parts of the firewall. I got it as a way of practicing for the parts I want to put into the 1979/1981 diesel. But since then I have watched many you tube videos of metalwork and I might want to do some metalwork practicing (many years as a cabinetmaker).

Don

(the cab for the 77 has been stripped by ?, so if I use this cab I will need to do a lot of replacing)

Edited by 620slodat