87 hardbody drivetrain into a 1980 720

sick620

Ok I have a good running hardbody 1987 z24i with the 4speed. I read that the transmission is 30inches in length. Truck is trashed roof cut off dents etc... I also have a 1980 720 l20b 5speed. This transmission I believe is 31.5 inches...  Will the complete hardbody drivetrain bolt into the 720? I know what I need to do to get the engine in, I just am wondering if I can get the transmission to interface the reared with either the hardbody driveline or a combo of the two driveshafts. The 720 is just a shell its tranny and parts from engine are being used for a 521 build. 

Edited by sick620
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Still looking for answer to this…will I need a custom driveline to run the engine and transmission out of a 1987 hardbody (z24i with 4 speed yes it’s an original 4 speed) in a 1980 720 (it originally was a l20b 5 speed) … drivelines are like 1.5 inches different I believe…. will hardbody driveline work in 720, or atleast the front half or something?

I guess I missed this post back in April...

The Z24i engine drops right in. I would use the 720 engine brackets and mounts just in case the Hardbody frame is slightly different. Unlikely you will be running it as a Z24i so put the Z24 intake and carburetor on it. Drop the distributor CAS and it's drive spindle and replace with Z24 parts. This will convert it to carburetor and proper distributor use.

Yes, the Hardbody did have a 4 speed option for '88 and '89 in the 71C flavor. Hardbody 2wd did have a 2 piece driveshaft similar to the 720 but unknown if overall length of frame or drive train were the same. Measure the length between the two U joints on the front drive shaft half on the Hardbody and the 720. If the Hardbody is 1.5" longer than the 720 it would fit for length at least. Unknown if the carrier rubber would fit the 720 position. I assume the U joints would interchange. If not the 720 drive shaft needs to be lengthened.

35 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I guess I missed this post back in April...

The Z24i engine drops right in. I would use the 720 engine brackets and mounts just in case the Hardbody frame is slightly different. Unlikely you will be running it as a Z24i so put the Z24 intake and carburetor on it. Drop the distributor CAS and it's drive spindle and replace with Z24 parts. This will convert it to carburetor and proper distributor use.

Yes, the Hardbody did have a 4 speed option for '88 and '89 in the 71C flavor. Hardbody 2wd did have a 2 piece driveshaft similar to the 720 but unknown if overall length of frame or drive train were the same. Measure the length between the two U joints on the front drive shaft half on the Hardbody and the 720. If the Hardbody is 1.5" longer than the 720 it would fit for length at least. Unknown if the carrier rubber would fit the 720 position. I assume the U joints would interchange. If not the 720 drive shaft needs to be lengthened.

ok cool thanks this gives me hope that I can maybe make something work with the driveline…