Manual transmission fluid - What should be done next?

720_Jeff

Over the weekend, drained/filled the manual transmission on my 720.  Whew, that shit stunk!  Looked like chocolate milk 😞

This truck sat in a dry spot for a few years and now I'm driving it.  No strange noises, shifts fine, drives fine.

I plan to drive this new oil for a bit, then drain/fill again.  Any other suggestions?

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 4.34.05 PM.png

Edited by 720_Jeff
  • Like 1
  • 720_Jeff changed the title to Manual transmission fluid - What should be done next?
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should be changed every 30K miles. It gets stinkier with age because of the sulphur additives. That does not look right. Water getting in will mix and look like chocolate milk. Kind of rusty color.

Make sure you use GL-4 not GL-5 in the transmission. What ever oil you get it must be 'yellow metal' or 'copper alloy' compatible. 80w90 is fine over all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Should be changed every 30K miles. It gets stinkier with age because of the sulphur additives. That does not look right. Water getting in will mix and look like chocolate milk. Kind of rusty color.

Make sure you use GL-4 not GL-5 in the transmission. What ever oil you get it must be 'yellow metal' or 'copper alloy' compatible. 80w90 is fine over all.

Definitely doesn't look right.  I put in GL-4 80/90 for now.  Thinking run it for a couple tanks of fuel, then drain and fill again.  I can't imagine I got enough of the crud out with the simple drain/fill that I did.

Edited by 720_Jeff
  • Like 1

Old GL-4 oil is usually dark amber and clear. Seems to have a slight green sheen to it. The drain bung has a magnet on it. How did it look???. A black paste of ferrous metal is ok, chunks and ball bearing races are not. Wipe clean so you can compare 30,000 miles from now.

o1doL87.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder on drain plug.  Forgot to mention it.

There was paste, but really not all that bad.  No chunks of anything on it, no chunks in the drain pan.  Cleaned it all up and it seems fine, so far.  I'll take pics of what I get in some 500 miles when I replace the oil once again.

• Like 1