Floor Pan Photos and Ideas

jetattblue

Does anyone have any pictures of their floor pans? I am particularly interested in the areas including the bolts that mount to the truck's frame. The areas around these bolts are almost entirely rusted away in my truck, and I am trying to get my arms around how to repair them with new metal. I'm wondering if you could cut those areas away from a newer Datsun or Nissan truck and graft them in versus trying to fabricate those areas from scratch. Any thoughts on that?

I've never done this before, but I thought it would be a good idea to tackle that specific repair before removing the cab from the frame to repair the frame. My idea is to remove one bolt and rusted area at a time and repair that before moving to the next. Once these 4 areas are repaired, I can lift the cab off of the frame. This way--in my mind--I could make sure that it all lines up straight again. I am worried that if I remove the cab and repair those areas while it is off of the frame, I have a greater chance of missing a measurement and end up with a cab that sits a little off. I don't want my truck cab pointing to one side while I'm driving straight!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The front mount holes of right side and left side appear to be the same in all models, the rear hole is of my 1963 L320, 

DSC00006.JPG.48bf23f54d9fcef0ef31f40ec2102696.JPG

DSC00007.JPG.c9aaec9c1950541df97d7c1e287e3055.JPG

DSC00008.JPG.725b65d1953235e1166dd4037f464eb8.JPG

When Daniel fixed these areas of his 521 he made a jig, he drilled a hole the outside diameter of the indentation in some metal I believe about the depth needed, then he put a piece of metal on the bottom of this piece with a hole dead center the size of the mount bolt, then he put a piece of replacement sheet metal with a hole in it the size of the mount bolt, he put a bolt thru it, then he put a thick washer on the bolt and then put a nut on the bolt and he tightened it down tight when removed it held the indentation, he then cut out the bad metal, shaped the new piece to what he had cut out, and then he welded it in, the metal has to be clean top and bottom for the welds to turn out nice which will be hard to do if on the frame.