L series Tranny On z Series engine or vice versa lean compensation

sick620

Ok so you have an Lseries and put a Napz Transmission on it....

Or a Z24, Z22 etc engine and put an L series transmission on it...

You either are too lazy or unable to source a bellhousing to do the install correctly... or the car or truck you are working on is such a beater you don't care about the fact that your transmission is now rotated an ungodly amount and as long as it functions you are happy...

What is the easiest most simple diy transmission mount idea you can come up with? 

I've had a couple trucks with z24 trans connected to l20b engines, and in both circumstances the transmission mounts were not done well at all otherwise the bent shifter and function of the setup was no problem. I want to know if anyone has ever came up with a good idea to deal with the lean at the mount? 

edit: I don't want to hear "just do a bell housing swap", I know that's the correct way to do it, If you were just trying to get something on the road with the parts you had on hand and this is it, what would you do?  

Edited by sick620
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MygIJd7.jpg

..................................... L series 4 speed............................................................. Z series 5 speed in L position..........

This is the relative difference in Z to L tilt, somewhere about 20 degrees. 12 degrees right of vertical on the L and about 8 degrees left of vertical on the Z. The center line of the transmission is the drive shaft position. If you rotate the transmission on the left the 20 degrees, and add a 20 degree wedge of some sort, the right edge of the mount will actually try to dig into the cross member and the transmission will have to rise slightly throwing the drive shaft angles off. Measuring the position of the driveshaft first and then lowering the cross member or making a new one that allows the center line of the drive shaft to be returned to its original position would be ideal.

Locate the drive shaft. Install the Z series transmission in the exact same position and then make some measurements for a cross member to support it in that position.

You will need to modify the hole in the floor for the shifter. Bend the shifter in a vice using a length of pipe.

Oil fill hole is likely on the right side which will be lower now so will always be running on less than 2 liters of oil. I would check this more often as you have no safety net now.

Finding an L series 4 or 5 speed transmission front case seems easier.