Sounds like a fan belt?

Veraciousreasoning

Hey everyone,

So as everyone who browses this site I've been working on my 1980 720 4x4 a bunch (pics once I get my paint job)and I am currently working in the engine bay. Since, I've gotten the car I've been getting this weird sound when idling and driving. At first I thought it was a fan belt so I replaced all my fan belts and the sound is still there. Wondering if anyone would know if there is any other part that would make that noise?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternator or water pump bearing. Pull the belt off and start and idle. Got sound? If gone it's one of those two.

With the belt off try to wiggle the pulley on the water pump. Is there looseness? give a spin by hand... does it turn smoothly or does it have tight spots?? 

Spin the alternator by the pulley. Does it turn smoothly or is it rough?

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Alternator or water pump bearing. Pull the belt off and start and idle. Got sound? If gone it's one of those two.

With the belt off try to wiggle the pulley on the water pump. Is there looseness? give a spin by hand... does it turn smoothly or does it have tight spots?? 

Spin the alternator by the pulley. Does it turn smoothly or is it rough?

I'll check in the morning. I replaced all the belts and just replaced my alternator. The sound happened before I replaced the Alternator so if its ether of those than it's def the water pump bearing. 

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

To confirm take the belt off and start the engine. If quiet then water pump.

Do you have power steering?

No power steering. I'll check it tomorrow when I can work on it. I already started looking at the parts (just in case) and shocked it would only run be about 100 bucks to change the entire water pump, gasket, housing, and fan belt assembly from rockauto.com

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Probably includes the clutch fan too.

Yea, I saw some without the clutch fan but for that cheap I rather just replace the whole system so I don't have to worry about it. I planned on sending my radiator and heater core to a local shop that rebuilds them for you. I'll probably time it to do that whole area at the same time if the water pump is the problem.