Rattle/jingly noise coming from engine

NorCalDime

ok so i think the car gremlins are after me this week. about 4 or so days ago i noticed a rattle noise coming from my motor from a little over idle till about 3k or so rpms, then i cant notice it anymore. I changed my oil thinking that might help it(and that turned into a whole nother problem) . So now the noise is pretty prevalant. I cant really pinpoint were it is coming from. It sounds like a jingle/ rattle and pretty much makes the noise all the time. I popped my valve cover and everything is still tight, so im not sure what else it could be. Ive also notices that the car wont idle anymore, i have to keep a little gas on it to keep it going. this started a little after the noise did.

Could it be something with my carbs? i have a set of mikuni 44s, l20 motor. I am going to tear into it tommorow, but i have no clue were to start looking.

oh and there is no noticable power loss either

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i think the car gremlins are after me this week. about 4 or so days ago i noticed a rattle noise coming from my motor from a little over idle till about 3k or so rpms, then i cant notice it anymore. I changed my oil thinking that might help it(and that turned into a whole nother problem) . So now the noise is pretty prevalant. I cant really pinpoint were it is coming from. It sounds like a jingle/ rattle and pretty much makes the noise all the time. I popped my valve cover and everything is still tight, so im not sure what else it could be. Ive also notices that the car wont idle anymore, i have to keep a little gas on it to keep it going. this started a little after the noise did.

Could it be something with my carbs? i have a set of mikuni 44s, l20 motor. I am going to tear into it tommorow, but i have no clue were to start looking.

oh and there is no noticable power loss either

What kind of linkage are you running? At the carbs, you might have a loose j-hook, and it jingles in the linkage. It would make noise until the vibration levels out (about 3K RPM) My sedan had that problem back when I was in high school, the cotter pin fell out of the end of the j-hook. No power loss, but the spring jingled in the hook end, and caused all sorts of noise. It was wierd, but once the new cotter pin was installed, we had trouble (and sound) free operation.

well ive been all over checking bolts, and no luck. it still makes teh noise. It sounds pretty bad actually. Ive also noticed that recently along with my car not wanting to idle, if i am at a stop for a while and then try and take off without giving a good amount of gas( getting the rmps high) and riding the clutch a little it bogs and sputters alot like it doesnt even want to go. after i get back up in the high rmps it runs good again, but never really from idle.