Fuel pump

Arifaeth

Hey, on my 69 521 1300, I took the fuel pump off, because after checking all the lines for clogs, ( and there were none ) it still wouldnt draw from the tank, it will draw from a cup with fuel in it right next to the motor, but not from the tank. All the research I've done has made me think I've got the wrong pump, the one I have looks like the E1 pump, with the little arm that bends at a like 120° angle, I can see marks on the arm where's it's contacting the essentric, but it doesn't seem to have much suction at all, I can put my finger over the inlet and crank it, and I'm getting barely any suction at all, I can suck through a straw 30x stronger than this pump does. So my thought, is the arm too short and isn't moving enough to pump? If so what pump should I get? Or should I just say screw it and buy an electric pump and regulator and call it a day?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is this the original pump? was it working and just started not working? or is this a new vehicle and you don't know it's history?

Its the same truck, but I don't know the history, it's the pump that was one the truck when I got it, and it's a Japanese manufacturer labeled on the pump, so I'm going to assume it's factory, it will draw fuel from a cup, or from a gas can so long as it's sitting in the engine bay, but it won't draw fuel from the tank. And when I put my finger over the inlet and crank the motor, I can't feel any suction, maybe 1 psi, if even that, the only way I know it's sucking is because when I take my finger off I can hear the air going in, but there isn't a mark on my finger or anything, and when I had the pump out, I could out my finger over the inlet and pump it a few times, and hear air seeping last. So I'm thinking my diaphragm is bad, but since it's not leaking fuel idk. Also, from what I can tell it's got the short arm that bends half way through it, not a curve, a straight bend. At about 120° upwards, so not fully 90°. I'm thinking it's the wrong pump and so the arm isn't getting pumped far enough to get the right PSI, and was hoping someone could point me to the correct one. If not I'm just gonna get a electric pump set up.

Before going any farther. Between the fuel pump and the head, there should be a 1/4" plastic spacer. Pump, gasket, spacer, gasket, head. Is it there????????

Got to figure that this DID work at some point so the arm or the pump must be close to correct.

Put the inlet hose into a container of gas. Direct the outlet hose into a suitable container. Pull the lead off the coil so it won't start and turn the engine with the starter. Eventually when the gas gets up into the pump, does it spit out fuel in strong gushes???

YES.... gas gushes out strongly...... Fuel line is blocked or crimped. Check any hoses for kinks. Fuel filter hoses are not tight and air being sucked in.

NO..... gas dribbles out..... Replace or rebuild pump.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Before going any farther. Between the fuel pump and the head, there should be a 1/4" plastic spacer. Pump, gasket, spacer, gasket, head. Is it there????????

Got to figure that this DID work at some point so the arm or the pump must be close to correct.

Put the inlet hose into a container of gas. Direct the outlet hose into a suitable container. Pull the lead off the coil so it won't start and turn the engine with the starter. Eventually when the gas gets up into the pump, does it spit out fuel in strong gushes???

YES.... gas gushes out strongly...... Fuel line is blocked or crimped. Check any hoses for kinks. Fuel filter hoses are not tight and air being sucked in.

NO..... gas dribbles out..... Replace or rebuild pump.

Not sure if there is a spacer I didn't check, it will fill my float bowl fairly quickly if there is gas in either a cup or a gas can right next to it, but not from my tank, but I have checked all my fuel lines and they are good. So it's not my lines, it's the pump, it doesn't fill the float quickly, it takes probably 30-45 seconds from when fuel starts filling into the bowl for it to fill it, but ONLY if the source of gas is right next to the pump.

Pretty sure it should fill faster than that.

The diaphragm does not have to be bad. There are two one way valves and it is regulated to about 3 pounds. Seems like the pump is at fault so no harm it taking it apart and see if the valves are clear and nothing blocking one open.

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Pretty sure it should fill faster than that.

The diaphragm does not have to be bad. There are two one way valves and it is regulated to about 3 pounds. Seems like the pump is at fault so no harm it taking it apart and see if the valves are clear and nothing blocking one open.

Alright, I know it has sat either dry, Or with old fuel in it for atleast 2-3 years if not more. So I'm gonna say that has caused it to get issues. I guess I'll carefully disassemble it, and if I open it and it's all gunked up, but the diaphragms look good, I'll clean it up and all that, and see where that gets me.

• Thanks 1