My rear passenger side brake cylinder was leaking, fixed it but now i cant get the hub back on? 1970, R1600

Mspencer

So, pulled the wheel, the hub was a little hard to get off but no different then any other hub. Pulled the brake cylinder and replaced the plunger and seals. pulled the adjuster out to clean it up and replaced it. now putting the hub back on with the adjuster all the way out should just slide in. Not the case here. I can squeeze it on and spin it to align the studs but if i push the hub in it firms up quickly to the point i cant trun the wheel at all. its a simple system but what am i missing? the green spring is in the top and the other is set at the bottom, the hand brake adjuster is through the slot on the rear shoe, everything looks like it did when i pulled them off. i took Pics and matched them up. With the rear-end off the ground i can start the car and put it in first and the drivers side wheel will spin but nothing on the passenger side. Note: this is a new car for me, only had it a few weeks and it was not working when i got it. i have the engine running now but haven't driven it yet. Was hoping to be able to do that as soon as the brakes were fixed so don't know if there is another issue. Just seems i am missing something. i would post a Pic but have not figured out the "Insert image from URL" yet.

thank you for your guidance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really mean the brake drum? is not fitting over the shoes.

Unless you have a limited slip differential one or the other rear wheel will spin while the other is stopped.

The wheel cylinder is held on with a pack of C shaped brass 'clips' on the back side of the backing plate that allows the cylinder to center itself. The cylinder may simply just be off slightly to one side not allowing the drum on. Try tapping the shoe to the left or right slightly and see if the drum fits on better. A little brake grease on those clips will make it easier to slide. If the brakes are bled and you can force the drum on you can step on the brake and the wheel cylinder will push itself into the center. 

Could the two shoes have been switched and put back on?

The adjuster is sort of like a cam. It may be on a high spot. Turn the adjustment and see if the shoes retract at all.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, datzenmike said:

You really mean the brake drum? is not fitting over the shoes.

Unless you have a limited slip differential one or the other rear wheel will spin while the other is stopped.

The wheel cylinder is held on with a pack of C shaped brass 'clips' on the back side of the backing plate that allows the cylinder to center itself. The cylinder may simply just be off slightly to one side not allowing the drum on. Try tapping the shoe to the left or right slightly and see if the drum fits on better. A little brake grease on those clips will make it easier to slide. If the brakes are bled and you can force the drum on you can step on the brake and the wheel cylinder will push itself into the center. 

Could the two shoes have been switched and put back on?

The adjuster is sort of like a cam. It may be on a high spot. Turn the adjustment and see if the shoes retract at all.

I started over, but pulled 2 shims off the brake cylinder then fitted the drum, it went on nicely. Then added the 2 shims back in. The wheel now turns freely and the brakes work! Thanks for the help.

• Haha 1