Block Id

I have a engineI pulled out of the corner today and want to identify the block.  It has a 7 on the passenger side and also N 56 casting number and the numbers 6927B.

It is stamped L 20, however, does not have the extra 2 timing cover bolts. The block has ribs and the cast bulges. I think its a L 18 would just like to confirm.

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.jpeg.4c18affeac75893591d5d733e773acc2.jpeg

The block ID is on a flat boss directly behind the dip stick handle on all L series

L20 is a 2 liter six cylinder. Because there already was a 2 liter L series around when the 2 liter 4 cylinder engine was built it was called the L20B. 

a5nvPPw.jpg

If it doesn't have the two pair of timing cover bolts the can't be L20B and must be either an L16 or L18

Thanks for the reply. Going to pull pan and head tomorrow and measure bore.  Probably  a L 18 as has single bolt front cover.  Want to pull apart any way and see if someone has put larger valves in 219 Head. Looks line someone ground the block and stamped L 20 on it.

As I mentioned single bolts are L16 OR L18. Too much bother to take apart as the engine ID is right there stamped on the block behind the dip stick...

image.jpeg.4c18affeac75893591d5d733e773acc2.jpeg

Or is this where it's stamped L20???? Can't see why someone would try to make an L16/18 pass as and L20B. Anyone would know it has to be L20B

tizvXYt.jpg

Here is another. The boss is on the driver's side and obviously a Z20 that's been defaced to try and make it an L20B