Back again with my 71 521 pickup

Toneloc521

Okay so I am back again since the last time I messed with my Datsun this is where I am at just a quick briefing I have a 1971 521 Pick up and I was having issues starting it it’s has a Weber 32 36 DGAV that was converted to an electrical choke when I first got it the choke wasn’t wired anywhere so I wired it to a toggle switch that is connected to the ignition coil. I changed the spark plugs replaced them with the same NGK model replaced the spark plug wires my distributor cap and rotor(I know now these changes were unnecessary) I had my fire order wrong and once I corrected it I atleast got it to fire up then it died. We got a point where we could pull it out of the garage and drove it down the road. When we got to the stop sign to stop it wanted to die we got it back to the house in the garage and left it. The following day I change the oil and she started up and idled after warming up. I live in Salem Oregon so it has been cold lately and to be honest when the cold weather hit is when I noticed it has been harder to get started. The following morning I got it started after only trying twice and it warmed up with no problems so I drove it to work and all the way to work it ran great I mean completely stopping no dying out. I got it to work and let it sit came out at lunch to go for food and it had a little trouble so I figured I should get it home I live about 15 minutes from work I got into the middle lane and she died so I replaced the battery because it was losing power the more I turned the key and finally no juice so I got a new battery and it started I got it up the road and ran out of gas I got to the gas station put gas in It and the starter went out completely (was going out for a while) so I had it towed home for $130 and replaced the starter so fired up but died out almost immediately. So I was thinking the fuel pump because I have been trying to avoid the carburetor. I was taking the pump off and pushed it back in so I could get the nuts off and it shot fuel out so I gave her a few pumps and it was working so I am thinking I should just take out the carb completely apart and clean it well I got a carb rebuild kit and the new filter. Does anybody disagree or even have a better idea? I appreciate all the help in the past I am going to try to keep this thread short and sweet let me know if I should provide additional info 

• Like 2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not need a toggle switch. Has to have power all the time the engine is running or choke heater will cool and the choke will come on slightly.

Some thoughts on the fuel pump...... you drove it to work so that should tell you that it's working. Another would be to pull the hose off the carburetor and aim into a container. Turn the engine over with key got gas it's either yes or no..... this is preferable to taking things apart.

Some thoughts on replacing the battery.... batteries don't have an infinite amount of power in them. Continual long starts and constant stalling and only run for at most 15 min to get to work is going to empty it and there's not enough time for recharging. You have to put back what you took out to get started. If you have a new battery well it's done. I would get a battery charger and keep that new one charged every night till you get it running correctly.  

Did you get the timing set???? A good strong idle requires that the engine get to most out of the small amount of gas and air used at idle.

• Like 3
On 1/21/2021 at 1:54 PM, datzenmike said:

Does not need a toggle switch. Has to have power all the time the engine is running or choke heater will cool and the choke will come on slightly.

Some thoughts on the fuel pump...... you drove it to work so that should tell you that it's working. Another would be to pull the hose off the carburetor and aim into a container. Turn the engine over with key got gas it's either yes or no..... this is preferable to taking things apart.

Some thoughts on replacing the battery.... batteries don't have an infinite amount of power in them. Continual long starts and constant stalling and only run for at most 15 min to get to work is going to empty it and there's not enough time for recharging. You have to put back what you took out to get started. If you have a new battery well it's done. I would get a battery charger and keep that new one charged every night till you get it running correctly.  

Did you get the timing set???? A good strong idle requires that the engine get to most out of the small amount of gas and air used at idle.

So she’s alive she’s running and I drove her around the neighbor hood but at some points during driving it would stutter but always came back to an idle and no I need to set the timing just haven’t had the time I’ve got two jobs at the moment haven’t had a chance to really get back to the truck but I’m gonna try and get the timing set by the end of the weekend. During idling in the driveway she at some points would drop way low in rpms and stutter but either died out or came back up to a normal idle but she fires right over no problems all day 

• Like 2

So I’m thinking it’s a choking issues so I’m gonna just wire the choke directly instead to the toggle I leave the toggle on always but I’m just gonna wire it straight to the source also I’m gonna get the timing set you can hear that it is off a bit but as we speak she’s been running consistently little trouble at first but once she is warm she fires up so I’m thrilled about that it has been warmer the past couple of days just an observation 

• Like 2