Weird Bogging Issue

TheMrFlippers

Went to start the truck to take a short trip, pumped gas, choke set, started just fine. Went to pull out of the driveway and the truck bogged, I couldn’t feather the pedal in anyway to keep it running, and it shut off. Attempted to restart and I’d get the initial fire, but it wouldn’t run. Waited for a few minutes, tried again and got nothing. I finally pulled the lid off the air cleaner and got more air to it and was finally able to feather the pedal enough to get it started. It would run fine for 10 seconds, start bogging badly and I’d have to feather the pedal to get it to stay running. I drove it around the block, floored it a few times from 1st-3rd and noticed if I gave it gas too fast it’d fall on its face and jerk badly. I’d have to let off and slowly press on the accelerator to keep it going. Once I got it back in the driveway it ran for  maybe 30 seconds, bogged again and died. This is a rebuilt carb, so I’m unsure where the idle mixture screw is set, but it certainly smells rich, and definitely backfires more than I’m used to. It also backfires if I rev it freely to 3-4K rpms.

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn’t personally rebuild it, a carb shop did. However I popped the hood to check out the plug, did not notice a 6 wire but I did smell copious amounts of fuel, (hasn’t run for over a week) and saw that it was draining out of a vacuum line connected from the a 2 port metal piece on the intake manifold to a valve on the passenger fender well. Let me upload pics.

• Like 1

The bottom picture hose goes to that metal port in the third picture. It’s right to the left of the big hose. The big hose goes to some sort of valve. It’s only disconnected because I pulled up the air cleaner to take a picture. In the last picture (with all the hair stuck to it) that’s fuel residue that has come out of the connected vacuum hose. Only thing I could think of to keep such a strong fuel smell (after a week) is float adjustment. But being rather ignorant of carbs, I’m not quite sure.

• Like 1

The bottom hose has vacuum on it when engine running. That just cat hair from climbing in beside warm engine.

Next time the engine warms up take the top off the air filter and look at the choke. After 10 min running it should be vertical or fully open, check this.

THIS

Qml955T.jpg

NOT THIS or even partly closed

L043Tu4.jpg

• Like 1