Blown fuse? I broke something...

wingnutmckay

75 620 long bed. Changing the oil, and I dropped the filter into the back of the alternator. Yes, I know, should have disconnected the battery. Too late now.

I can run wires and get the truck to run.

I don’t have any power to the ignition switch. Is there a fuse hidden somewhere I don’t know about? 
I found two fuses in-line behind the glove box. 1A and 15A both were blown. The smaller of the two fuses was on the bigger of the two wires(?). Changed those, still nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

cheers, Matt 

99A6D9E0-6BE6-46E5-A800-D0DAAB14CCCC.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the horn work? If no then the fusible link is blown. It will be a short length of (probably green) wire with plastic plugs on the end connected and close to the positive battery terminal. EVERYTHING electrical has to go through this to get to the fuse box or ignition switch.

The output from the alternator is directly connected to the positive battery terminal through the fusible link so grounding it with the oil filter almost certainly blew it.

A fusible link is exactly like it says... it's basically a fuse that by design is slow to blow 3-5 seconds and will allow a shout for a very short time. It'a also coated with a fire resistant plastic covering. It allows the wire inside to melt safely with a fire. Without a fusible link a catastrophic short to ground will light up your wiring harness like a toaster.

Here are the amperage ratings for Nissan fusible links. Do NOT use a rating higher than what you have.

siravgI.jpg

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Does the horn work? If no then the fusible link is blown. It will be a short length of (probably green) wire with plastic plugs on the end connected and close to the positive battery terminal. EVERYTHING electrical has to go through this to get to the fuse box or ignition switch.

The output from the alternator is directly connected to the positive battery terminal through the fusible link so grounding it with the oil filter almost certainly blew it.

Thanks for the reply.
You say fusible, yet I see no fuse(?). The length of green wire “appears” fine, but the one connections smells burnt.

Could it be as simple as replacing this wire? Should I add an inline fuse for protection? Or is that redundant?

cheers, Matt 

That's the beauty of a fusible link, the wire melts inside and may look fine on the outside. Plug it back in see if the connection was just bad.

Possibly it just needs to be unplugged and plugged back in. An in line fuse of 40 amps is fine but carry spares. If you have a brief short to ground they will blow immediately. A fusible link takes much longer but will blow.

Just now, datzenmike said:

That's the beauty of a fusible link, the wire melts inside and may look fine on the outside. Plug it back in see if the connection was just bad.

Possibly it just needs to be unplugged and plugged back in. An in line fuse of 40 amps is fine but carry spares. If you have a brief short to ground they will blow immediately. A fusible link takes much longer but will blow.