Compression test results

Stinky

ON my '89 Camry w/a 2.0....It overheated on my son....big-time.  I know that this is Ratsun, but, youse guys are pretty sharp and know your way around an engine.

We just did a compression test (wet and dry) and leak down test.  I did the wet test w/ATF...it was on the bench and I'd already done 2 cylinders before I started wondering if that was the correct approach/oil.

On the leakdown:

We had no sound of leakage in the exhaust.

On #2, we had sound of leakage in the intake...a bit (possibly an open intake on #1, or exhaust on #3).

All of em had sound of leakage at the top radiator hose outlet.

All of em had sound in adjacent cyllinderS (as in multiple, as in 3 cylinders away).

4 & 2 did not have any sound in the oil cap (I didn't think of it on 1 & 3, FO is 1342)...maybe I should go back and listen there.

Compression test:

First stroke:

1 30#

2 5#

3 5#

4 5#

total

1 75#  90 wet...last one done, farthest from the rad-hose connection, and it sent a puff of vapor out the outlet, 2' away during the wet-test.

2 40#, no change wet

3 30# no change wet

4 60# no change wet

What do you think?  Will a headgasket do anything for me?  Would an in the car re-ring be a recommendation?  There have been a bunch of those done on Corollas to fix a design flaw (small oil drain back holes in the pistons).

I like the car and would put another 100K on it, if I could.

The motor is the car's 2nd.  It came from a junkyard, and ran good...did not burn any oil, to speak of.  But, it should have about 200K on it.  In the JY that I go to, they have several w/300k on the odometer.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern engines won't take overheating like an old engine can. On a modern engine the piston to wall clearance is tighter, the rings are smaller and the end gap is tighter. Cylinder heads are prone to cracking when they are run without water and even lower engine damage can occur in a badly overheated engine. So would I rebuild or try to repair it? No.

Buy another junkyard motor for $500 and stab it in. With any luck, you'll get a warranty from the wrecking yard which will help cover your ass. That's more than you'll get if you rebuild it or repair it yourself.

I found one in Denver for $350. Says good runner. Here - https://www.car-part.com

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports