82 Datsun 720

jonfoster9

I just recently purchased a 82 720 with what I believe is the Z22S, Im trying to turn it into somewhat of a drift truck/fun weekend cruiser, I saw a post on here about a Holley 350 2 barrel with a T3/t4 turbo which I'm already trying to get rolling, however since I want to drift the truck I'm gonna need a new clutch, it is the 5 speed manual and I want to get a stage 2 for it but can't find anything as I don't know the details of the clutch/trans, if anyone has one of has the specifics of the trans so i know what clutch to get or if anyone has got one before or knows where they are please help! Thank you in advance

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '82 2wd would have come with a flywheel with a 225mm clutch and pressure plate bolt pattern on it.

The transmission doesn't care what engine or clutch is in front of it. All three have to work together but they don't tell each other how to do it. The clutch size (diameter) is totally dependent on what flywheel is on the engine. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The '82 2wd would have come with a flywheel with a 225mm clutch and pressure plate bolt pattern on it.

The transmission doesn't care what engine or clutch is in front of it. All three have to work together but they don't tell each other how to do it. The clutch size (diameter) is totally dependent on what flywheel is on the engine. 

What about spline size?

• Like 1

What about it? If you order for an '81 720 2wd 225mm that's what you'll get.

All the transmissions have the same 24 spline input. If you were to get a 720 4x4 flywheel, that's 240mm, you could even put a 300zx turbo clutch on it. Not that you should but you could. I've never seen anything other than the 24 spline input shaft on Nissan transmissions. I'm sure there may be some, but not since the mid '60s and up into the 2000s.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

What about it? If you order for an '81 720 2wd 225mm that's what you'll get.

All the transmissions have the same 24 spline input. If you were to get a 720 4x4 flywheel, that's 240mm, you could even put a 300zx turbo clutch on it. Not that you should but you could. I've never seen anything other than the 24 spline input shaft on Nissan transmissions. I'm sure there may be some, but not since the mid '60s and up into the 2000s.

Awesome thank you for the help! Just to clarify I'll need to find a 225 mm clutch with a 24 spline input shaft, would it be necessary or benifcial to get a new flywheel as well? Just trying to figure the best way to do it right so I don't have to keep taking it apart or breaking stuff. Thank you for all the help again

• Like 1

You could have the flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop for $30-$50. Scratch across the surface radially. If you fingernail catches or you can visually see grooving, get it milled. If smooth, rough the surface with a small block of wood and 150 sand paper in a circular motion to break the glaze and speed up the bedding in of the clutch disc.

I definitely would replace the release bearing and the pilot bushing. Spend at least $15 on a release bearing. This is no place for saving a few bucks. You don't want to have to remove the transmission in a few years because the release bearing was crap. Pilot bushing is only $4 and the old one can be split lengthwise in several spots with hammer and screwdriver then removed in pieces.

IbSIpBR.jpgs

9F9rL0D.jpg

The new one should be driven in with a piece of wood over it to protect it as they are soft.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You could have the flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop for $30-$50. Scratch across the surface radially. If you fingernail catches or you can visually see grooving, get it milled. If smooth, rough the surface with a small block of wood and 150 sand paper in a circular motion to break the glaze and speed up the bedding in of the clutch disc.

I definitely would replace the release bearing and the pilot bushing. Spend at least $15 on a release bearing. This is no place for saving a few bucks. You don't want to have to remove the transmission in a few years because the release bearing was crap. Pilot bushing is only $4 and the old one can be split lengthwise in several spots with hammer and screwdriver then removed in pieces.

IbSIpBR.jpgs

9F9rL0D.jpg

The new one should be driven in with a piece of wood over it to protect it as they are soft.

Awesome thank you! I will definitely make sure the flywheel is okay as well as the bearing before it goes back in, I'm still trying to find a clutch haha but I'm sure I'll find one, thank you for all the help!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stinky said:

They have multiple but none of them specifically say that they are a stage 2, are they better than stock? I just want to make sure I get the best stage 2 for it I can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonfoster9 said:

They have multiple but none of them specifically say that they are a stage 2, are they better than stock? I just want to make sure I get the best stage 2 for it I can.

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Exedy has good stuff.

The AMS lists theirs as HD/Towing. 

Ask Exedy what the clamping pressure is on their stuff. The stock one from Nissan PP is 550 Kg or just over 1,200 pounds. I would hope that a 'stage 1' is at least that. 

The stock PP 30210-Y0100 $130.00*

The matching clutch disc is 30100-27G00 same as the '87 S12 car. $50.00*

* this might be in Canadian so ask the dealer.

• Like 1