72 Datsun 510 L16 carburetor upgrade from Hitachi to Weber.

pikachu

Hey, Noob here,

I recently acquired a 72 Datsun 510 with the original L16 engine with the stock carburetor. I want to upgrade the stock carburetor with a Weber 32/36 DGEV. Will the new carburetor fit the original intake with the adaptors they include? Also, any suggestions on future budget friendly upgrades would be greatly appreciated. Nothing too wild like a KA24DE or S13 upgrade just yet, something I can install and learn to modify myself with novice experience requirement. Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see your little poke evolve:

The little two barrel Weber should do nicely....maybe get a matchbox or upgrade away from the finicky points.

(Don't waste you time or money on a header tho....)

The carb adapter is kind of a pain in my opinion - if possible get a Canon manifold which doesn't need an adapter.

That's my two centavos.

Vicdat

Use Loctite Blue on the fastener threads and they won't come loose. The adapter can crack from over tightening, but this usually happens when the owner finds something loose causing a vacuum leak and proceeds to over tighten it the second time.

I don't suggest paying much for one but an L20B cam is a very modest up grade and is almost identical to the L16 cam used in the coupe in Japan.

If your exhaust is getting thin and you are looking at replacing it anyway, have one custom bent in 1 7/8 or 2" pipe. I wouldn't go any larger. Get a turbo style muffler.

Use an oil with a higher ZDDP level than today's oils provide. hell RotellaT4 (10W30 or 15W40) is a light diesel oil with the required ZDDP levels. ZDDP is an anti scull additive needed by our old engines but has been consistently lowered over the years because today's engines don't need it. Do NOT ever use Fram filters for anything. They are only good for covering the oil filter boss if painting the engine. NAPA Gold or WIX are good, probably others. A $2.99 WallMart oil filter is not a good idea.

Just to be safe replace the transmission oil. Dexron for automatic and GL-4 in 80w90 for the 4 speed. Do NOT use GL-5. Transmission oil must be brass and copper alloy compatible. About 2 liters

Replace the differential oil with GL-5 90w. About 1 liter.

There are HotSpark and Pertronix conversions for single point distributors, you may have to find one. Use with your stock coil and ballast. Do not replace the coil with one that has less than 1.5 ohms resistance. In fact don't replace the stock coil at all. After market Red and Yellow coils are like fishing lures.... they catch more fishermen that fish. If you can find a real EI distributor even better, but get the matching coil with it.