Transmission Long tail Vs Short tail

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not recall how long the 5spd  is in the Roadsters, but I know it is shorter than the 4spd, but I am suspecting your going to have to do some modifying unless you have a 4spd shifter plate setup for the later Roadster.

I have a 1967 Datsun Roadster with a 1968 2000/5spd, I drove the shit out of that car in the 90s and early 2000s, I likely put a 100,000 miles on it myself back then, I still have it to this day.

720 diesel 5 speed over Roadster 4 speed. Other than the placement of the starter the roadster 4 speed appears to be the same as the long F4W63 used only in the 610.

MqE9urN.jpg

610 F4W63 4 speed. Basically a 510 4 speed only longer.

2EGsY9X.jpg

wayno is right, the 71B 5 speed does look a hair shorter.

xzdP5jJ.jpg

You don't understand Mike, he has a 1969 Roadster that had a 2000cc engine(U20), I expect the transmission was a 5spd, the 5spd is shorter than the 4spd, don't know how much shorter as I didn't think about that kind of stuff back then, my guess would be 3 or 4 inches shorter.

I mentioned the length because I am pretty sure the 1969 Roadster with a 1600cc(R16) engine had a 4spd, and they would have the shifter plate/console to relocate the shifter hole towards the rear to accommodate the longer 71B long shaft transmission.

Since it is a 1969 I expect he will not have to do any tunnel bracket cutting like I had to do to install a U20/5spd in my early 1967 Roadster, but a tranny mount might need to be made, I would find someone that has already done this and pick their brain, I am positive there is a build thread somewhere that has the info, them guys are using diesel cases so they can use Z car 5 speeds in there Roadsters so they know what the tranny mount mods are.

Jy0RPXh.jpg

FS5C71A same as the one above but this is the European 5 speed available with a removable L series front bell for use on the 240z for road racing. North America did not get these but you could buy one from Europe for your L powered Z car. Both had a flange output just like the 521 and has the starter on the right. Looks to be about 31.5" long

Had to dig deep into my trove of tranny pictures

DT0nz79.jpg I blew it up and it's around 31"? Can't tell if it's clipped on the front or not.

The first 71B (F4W71B) was the September '71 240z and was only a 4 speed until August '76

• Like 1