Best place to mount rear differential breather hose?

Jda222221

More problems from the "off-road track" that is my driveway. There are pot holes that create ponds up to a couple feet deep.  The driveway is right next to a creek that was heavily mined. So the road is on bedrock and there isn't much we can do about it. Its the best security system money can't buy though. Will include pics some day. I noticed noise and vibration felt through my transfer case. I'm changing the oil and a ton of foam came out with a ton of water oil mix. Its just going to happen again if I don't move it. By the fuel filler? Route all the way to the engine?

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need do is extend the hose up higher than the water you go through. Differentials, transfer cases and transmissions get too hot to touch and when submerged in cooler water the hot air in them contracts sucking in water through the breather. Front and rear differentials (4wd) have a hose that extends higher to the frame and have a loop at the tops. Transmission and transfer case just have plastic breathers. If you drive through water that rises higher than any of these breathers they should have hoses on them extending much higher. Front diff and transmission up into the engine compartment, transfer case perhaps up between the cab and box, rear diff up to the highest part of the frame under the box. Don't forget to form a J shape at the top.

Better check your transmission and trans case if equipped, and perhaps time to change them all if over 30K since the last change. GL-4 for transmission (2liters) and transfer case.(1.5 liter) GL-5 for differentials. (1 liter) approximate refill qty.

• Like 2

I just replaced all fluids after doing the swap. I went with Acdelco FM synchromesh for transfer case and transmission, that made a big difference. I used non synthetic gl 5 for the differentials and last night I put a tube of Trans-x POSI-TRAC in rear diff. It felt much better on my test drive but I never did get onto pavement with it. Will report back after I get it on the interstate.