720 in eastern Canada

CrazyCanuk

Hello everyone, iv recently acquired an 86 720 4x4. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada.  I like the truck , however being on the east coast it has some rot issues. Specifically the rear backing plates on the rear axle,  I can weld, but there is nothing left to weld to, as the entire backing plate is comprised and just crumbles, wheel cyl has fallen inside the drum it is so rotten. iv searched what I think is alot on Google, but am coming up short on a supplier for rear backing plates. Is there any aftermarket rear plates available, and if there is, can you point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine there would be enough interest for someone to make them. Your best bet is to get some off of another 720. That said make sure that they are for a later 4x4 as it has a different axle than all the other 2wd and early 4x4s made before '83. Yours is a C-200.

Where can you get them? Well, check on line or phone for them at wrecking yards near to far away or perhaps someone has one sitting out back under a tree. You could also try a want ad here... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ... They are a bit of work to remove and then there is the cost to ship them.

Long shot I know, but get on Kijiji. Under Ontario type in Nissan 720. There’s one soul on there with two 720’s for sale which look about ready for the scrap yard. See if he’s willing to ship or perhaps you may know someone close to him. Come to think they both may be 2wd. Check it out anyways. Good luck. 
-Pidge

Ok, after hours and hours of Google search,  contacting multiple people, iv decided to scrap the rear axle and put something I can still obtain parts for, so one thing led to another, the safety inspection is expired, iv checked it over and it needs some front end work too, that led me looking at possible sas options. Came up with early bronco and wagoneer axles as a good match for width, along with Toyota, but toy front axle is pass drop, I don't want to change the gear drive t-case. Those solid axles are non existent in these parts, so iv acquired a 75 f 150 drum brake front axle, I'm going to narrow it on the long side to factory early bronco width, and that will leave me with roughia 60" WMS in the front, and then swap Chevy knuckles onto to retain the 6 bolt wheels, and disc front brakes.  I have a connection for Chevy parts. For the rear , I'm considering an Xterra rear diff, it's late and I'm tired, but I'm going to check gear ratios tomorrow to make sure that it will be compatible gearing options, checked the scrap yard and they have 2 Xterra ,a 2001 and a 2003. So tomorrow I'll figure out what rear and talk about the suspension. Going to finish this beer and then lights out. Good night all, stay safe

• Like 3

The Xterra rear, it is a H233B with 4.90 gears according to the info liable on the drive door jam, it's from a 02 Xterra I think,  and is LSD, backing plates are still painted,  seems to be in runnable condition. Acquired the front axle from a 1975 front drum brake f150. I'll be shortening only the long side of the housing, to the point it will accept a factory length early bronco axle shaft. 

• Like 2

Your 720 should be 4.11 gears. Check the engine tag on the passenger side wheel well just below the hood hinge. The very bottom right will say something, something 41 for 4.11.

If the Xterra had an H-233 it was probably a VG33 engine.  The H233 did have LDS options but make sure you get whatever matches the front ratio. The Xterra H233 only came in 4.375 ratio I believe.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Your 720 should be 4.11 gears. Check the engine tag on the passenger side wheel well just below the hood hinge. The very bottom right will say something, something 41 for 4.11.

If the Xterra had an H-233 it was probably a VG33 engine.  The H233 did have LDS options but make sure you get whatever matches the front ratio. The Xterra H233 only came in 4.375 ratio I believe.

Door jamb sticker on the Xterra says HG49. I believe I have a body swapped 720, as the fender tag says HF37, and it corosponds with vin on dash and door jamb tag. The truck is an 86, but has the z22,  I am going to regear the front ford f150 d44 to 4.88:1 to match the Xterra rear 4.90:1

• Like 1

Glad to see some else from NS getting a 720! I had a lot of luck with a couple guys in Alberta for parts. Found them on Kijiji but they packed and shipped the parts to NS no problem.

• Like 3

Solid axle swap is happening, Xterra rearend prepped and ready for install, waiting on springs, verified axle ratio of 4.90:1, accumulating suspension parts, digging through the junk pile, next step is narrowing the f100 d44 front axle to match the Xterra width. More on that later. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Masskenny said:

Glad to see some else from NS getting a 720! I had a lot of luck with a couple guys in Alberta for parts. Found them on Kijiji but they packed and shipped the parts to NS no problem.

I'll have a bunch of used driveline parts available soon, newish front calipers, pads, rotors, complete front suspension, and diff, auto hubs axles and rear c200 axle. Won't be using any of it after my solid axle swap, and steering, and a couple pieces of new steering parts still in the boxes

• Like 1

Building the hybrid front axle , specs as follows:

1975 f150 drum brake full width Dana 44 high pinion. Narrowing pass side tube  5.97" to accept factory length early bronco shaft but with bigger u joint common to the f150 and chevy. The process I plan to do this is to remove the outter"c" from the tube, shorten tube, and reinstall "c" onto tube and reweld. Pretty straight forward. Keeping factory drum brake 1975 steering knuckles, they have the 6 bolt spindles, tossing drum brakes and ford spindles, going with Chevy front disc and Chevy spindles along with Chevy hubs from mid 80's Chevy 1/2ton. Using factory Chevy stub axle shafts. 

STEERING: 

Going to use an upgraded factory style early bronco "T" style  adjustable tierod and draglink, keeping the factory steering gear box on the 720, reaming a factory Pitman arm from an early d21 to use on my steering box to accept the Ford draglink end. 

SUSPENSION:

2.5" lift front springs from a jeep YJ , going spring over axle. Factory dodge ram shackles on the rear of the spring under the cab. Rigid front spring pearch under the front bumper. Making a cross brace for the steering box to go to the pass side frame rail. .

• Like 2