Fitting DCOE webers on a B210 info

Retro Wave

I was wondering about something i read on the datsun1200 website, I'll leave the link below.  I was looking / researching on how to install a set of DCOE webers on one of my fathers B210.  I found the intake only and it comes with all the linkages, its a bit pricey but expected being from japan and its new. I would have bought it without looking but that's not my style, I tend to research these things before i jump into something pricey....

With that said, It seems that there is a slight problem with this set up, it may be in the way of the master cylinder.  I tried to see/read what other owners solutions would be but the one that Im curious in is the one that "you can just move your engine about 1 inch" solution. I haven't look at my cars motor mounts to see if i can but i will tomorrow. I looked through google, ratsun and the datsun 1200 forum and I could seem to find what or how they can achieve it. 

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. 

ALSO what brand & size carburetors  would you run? OER, WEBER, SOLEX, DELLORTO OR WEBER COPY?

I see one on ebay which is a OER 45 racing carburetors from japan, i don't know the brand or if its easy to get parts.  I was thinking of getting a Genuine Webers (spain) DCOE 40 because the parts might be easier to obtain, they are available in 40s and tuning might be simple...right?

any DCOE experts / owners in the B210 - what do you think?

oh thinking of it going on a 1974 b210 with a A15 engine with headers (brand unknown but they are old ).... researching at the moment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-A14-A15-OER-45-Racing-Carburetors-Fits-NISSAN-B110-B210-B310-B120-Sunny/221711809204?hash=item339f0dbab4

.http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=LHD_Sidedrafts

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost the dual DCOEs will not fit because the master cylinder on left hand drive cars is in the way. The DCOE kits are available because Japan & Australia have right hand drive cars and so it's not an issue. Additionally on race cars most people move the master cylinders anyway.

You choices are move the master cylinders( you may be able to fit remote reservoirs to the master cylinders to gain the needed clearance) or you can run a single DCOE set up.

You do have another choice and this is the route I went on my 1200; I use motorcycle carbs, the Keihin flat slides I use, as well as others, are downdraft (they are in a 45 degree angle) and they will clear the master cylinder. One of the 1200 members is selling a set of custom intakes for these type of carbs. For street use I would use CV style carbs as they are cheaper than the Keihin FCR carbs.

So back to the A15 on your fathers B210; what head is on there? round port oval port? The DCOE carbs dependent on engine tune may add nothing or minimal power. As with most motors all the power is in the head. If the A15 you have has the H95 shrouded port head, the DCOEs will add nothing. You'll want to find a different head, an H89 head works well for the street (the number is stamped on the head, you'll need to remove the valve cover to see it).

As B210s came with A14s, if you're using the A14 head then webers may be worth it.

Here is what I would do; install a moderate cam, clean up the ports (especially around the valve seat as the seat protrudes into the port by 2-3mm), add a weber DGEV downdraft (it bolts onto the stock manifold) dual valve springs, SI valves (the stems are narrowed near the valve head for more flow) the and use the .8mm GX head gasket to up the compression (it will still run on pump gas).  All of that would add around 15-18hp. While that doesn't seem like a lot it will likely take a full second off the 0-60 time. Note the motorcycle carb set up (provided you have a decent cylinder head) would be good for another 7-8hp.

The current motor is probably making all of 45-50hp at the wheels, so we're talking about a 20% power increase with the above mods.

The A15 that was in the 1200 I race made 99.8hp at the wheels at 8000 rpm, while it would be perfectly streetable it was all high RPM power. At 6500 it made 95hp, at 6000 it was down to 88hp, at 5300 it was down to 78hp and by 4300 it was down to 64hp.  

Finally give us more detail on the car, year of the car year of the A15 etc.  

ok that's kinda depressing but just what i wanted to hear - knowledge because i didn't see much on the DCOE. I did see the motorcycle setup on  a few datsun but the reason I wanted the DCOE is because of that classic Japanese look and thought i can install them by moving the engine slightly to one side or relocate the master as a second choice. I still would love to know "how to move the engine an inch" -  it was posted here on ratsun but now it disappeared.

I guess I'll be researching & reading on those motorcycle carbs. 

sorry these are beginners questions but thought i ask:

-as a beginner are these carburetors easy to adjust / play with? like the 32/36 Weber for example

-are there any problems with them?  I would like to use them as a daily

-where would i find the intake and linkage?

-without researching is there basic #s for jetting these carbs to a stock A15. I know each person has to play around with sizes & #s depending on their cars 

I'll be reading more into this because i do want a slight change from the 32/36 but don't want to compromise drive-ability. I can tell you one thing they do look cool and they probably perform well.

I have a

-1974 Datsun b210

-manual 5 speed

- muffler pipe is 2 inches and muffler is 2 inch

-A15 engine - year unknown but its probably from an 1979 to 1980 210 model

-head is unknown till i take valve cover off

-has round ports

-has a set of headers which are an old style long tubes going on to a collector -  brand unknown

Bike carbs can be perfectly streetable; like any carb they just need to be set up.

Besides a custom manifold; you'll need a custom throttle cable; we modified one by soldering on the proper fitting for the bike carbs. A place like Terrycable could make one for you. You'll need a good fuel pressure regulator as bike carbs will need to be regulated below 2 psi, I run 1 psi on my regulator.

I got the flat slides on my car running 80% in the garage, then went out to an abandoned mining road (mine is not a street car) and got the car probably 98% there. The final 2% was had with about an hour of dyno time, which cost me $100.

For what you are doing you could also go with a single Weber DCOE.

First thing you need to do is find out what head is on there; if it is the H95 and you want to get anything out of it you'll need a different head before you do anything else.

Adding 20 horsepower really does make a huge difference; the car is never going to be fast relative to new cars. these things did 20 second 1/4 miles in stock trim and my heavily modded A15 powered car is/was (I have an A12 back in it) probably in the low to mid 15s. This is Mazda Miata level acceleration. With the A15 my car would slightly out accelerate stock NA Miatas.

Now the news is not all bad think total package;

Get another 15-20hp out of the motor (possible with the DGEV). When I say 15-20 I mean over stock, your car already has a header and larger exhaust.

Upgrade the brakes (Datsun1200.com has several cheap upgrades for B210s), add a decent set of shocks/slash dampers, a set of Addco anti-sway bars, some slightly wider wheels and tires (175/70-13 or 185/60-13s).

The 5 speed is a big plus; if you can find a 4:11 ring and pinion for the rear end that will also help the acceleration and the 5th gear overdrive means it won't be revving it's guts out on the freeway.

Do all of the above and it will be a fun old car.

By virtue of instructing at track days I get to drive a lot of really cool cars, I even have a fairly rapid single seat formula car but I still find moderately modified Datsuns to be a lot of fun. Just don't expect them to be fast. A perfect example is a $35,000.00 heavily modded 510 turns the same lap times as a $10,000 moderately modded Miata.       

• Like 1