Newly installed clutch issue

Hi I pulled my engine today and bolted a new clutch on but when i put the engine back in and turned it on its just making these crazy whizzing sounds and it wont engage.

Everything looked okay when it went in and it feels fine to push but it wont do anything much. When I press the clutch and the engine is on it makes this crazy grinding sound. But It can just idle when its in gear.

I was worried that the spindle coming out of the gearbox broke, I hope not I was pretty careful with it putting it in.

Any other ideas? I am going to pull the engine again tomorrow but I just wanted to know what to look forward to.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

End of the crankshaft. Called the pilot bushing. It's what the input shaft rides in when the transmission is bolted in. Usually wise to change this $5 part because if it fails later from wear it's a lot of work to get at and replace.

Did the clutch set come with a collar to hold the release bearing?

Is the release bearing on the collar properly? There is a front and back.

No collar, there was only the metal chunk that the old bearing was on. I tapped it on all the way and it seemed to be spinning fine.

I thought maybe that fell off or wasn't on right, but if that was the case wouldn't the clutch be stuck on, not off?