720 carb ID?

CamoKing

Hello and howdy from a DIY newbie!  I am trying to identify the model of this Hitachi and obtain the correct rebuild kit.YCbgmVJ.jpg?1

It is from an '82,  720 King Cab, w/Z22 engine.     Searches lead to an Hitachi DCR 342 kit.. BUT...from what I see on the web images, the lower gaskets DO Not match with what I have in front of me .  However, the shape of this 'riser block' and the bottom of the carb itself DOES appear to match with gaskets in the kit for the Hitachi DCR 384 which, I gather, is for later 720s with the Z24 engine.  So, what model carb is this?   All identifying labels/markings have been removed or worn away except for the tag on the choke cover which says Z22S.    (Seems like the original carb.?)  The bores are 32mm/34mm.   

Is this a 'hybrid' between the two models??

Will the DCR 384 kit supply me with the correct gaskets/parts I need?  H8862oh.jpgRISER BLOCK

Do I need to get BOTH the DCR 342 and DCR 384 kits to refurbish this old carb??

vXtOGW4.jpgTHROTTLE BODY/BOTTOM VIEW

Thanks for any impressions/advice you might share.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two mounting bolts farthest from the valve cover or on the primary side of the Z24 gasket are farther apart that those on the Z22 carburetor. If you have a Z24 mounting gasket it won't fit the intake studs.

There's not much to wear out in a carburetor, mostly the accelerator pump perhaps the inlet needle valve. Gaskets can be reused or replaced if exact match. I wouldn't swap any jets that come in the kit but maybe the power valve. Most problems are settings and adjustments that get out of whack, and dirt.

The plastic base gaskets you can make out of a cereal box, pen, hole punch from the dollar store and a pair of scissors. Just trace out the pattern when the base is off.

Wgwth2w.jpg

It's not that I so damn cheap (although I did co discover copper wire fighting a Scotsman for a penny) it's just a pain in the arse to have to go to town and order something then go back and pay tor this? I have an oil and water pump, carburetor base and thermostat housing and cover made of Cheerios boxes.

• Like 1

Thanks, DatzenMike:  I guess this is definitely a Z22 carb because the holes measure equally center to center.  But why don't the rebuild kits specified for this carb gaskets with the shape I see??

This looks like a carb from a Z24 yet it isn't!? 

I do need a new accelerator pump ( it leaks gas) and would like to clean this old carb thoroughly .. I have the time.  So, I don't mind purchasing a 'kit' if it gives me some parts and guidelines.

I guess I should go with what the parts stores are telling me and get the kit for the Hitachi DCR 342.\

I do like your Cheerios box alternative and will take your lead if necessary.\\

Either way, I am prepared to perform a tear down and rebuild.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1