Arizona Smog Laws

yello620

So i just finished removing all of the smog stuff and the hitachi off of my cousins 76 620 and installed a weber 32/36. Got it running good. Very next day he calls me and tells me he is moving to Arizona at the beginning of the year. Is he going to get screwed by Arizona smog laws or is a 76 not tested there. I still have most of the parts to return it to stock.

Who knows the laws?

Jason

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ariz. Government has a contract with a Private Company. They smog best back to 67, no matter what.

He might be able to get by with the weber though...depends on what all is blocked off. I would suggest holding on to the equipment, just in case.

If he can insure it as a "classic vehicle", then it will be smog exempt. Otherwise you may/may not be screwed. My 71' 510 was still smogged until I got this insurance. It has the VG30 swap, with no extra smog equipment. Sometimes you get lucky, they never raised the hood on the 510. My 280ZX turbo is now also smog exempt, since it is also insured as a classic.

The catch to having it insured as a classic is two fold, it has to look nice (you need to send them pics), and has to be worth a minimum of $3000.

The catch to having it insured as a classic is two fold, it has to look nice (you need to send them pics), and has to be worth a minimum of $3000.

Well, that will never work then, he is not one to keep it looking nice and it will never be worth more than $3k.

Well, he can either try to run it through and hope they don't check under the hood, or at least attempt to put a bunch of things back in their original places.

There's a story a few years back here in AZ of a guy with an older Jeep, who had also removed most of his smog equipment. They failed him because he was missing the PCV valve. So he left the emissions place and stopped at his house. He then *GLUED* a pcv valve to his intake, and ran the hose to the valve cover. Ran back to the emissions place, they looked and saw the PCV, so they passed him. True story.