Calif. Dupe Title and Vehicle Verification

Hi,

I lost the title for my ’75 B-210 and was about to apply for a duplicate to the California DMV when I came across this on a helpful site: “Don’t forget you also have to get a CHP vehicle verification within 90 days of replacing your title.”

I only want the title in case I decide to sell the car in the future to a fellow Datsun buff.

I did a search of this vehicle verification process and it looks difficult and expensive. What happens with regard to a sale — or to my relationship with the DMV — if I get the duplicate title but don’t get the verification done?

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dmv should be able to do a vin verification when you go in for the duplicate title 

ask them 

or use a company like all vehicle registration 

they charge you a fee but you dont even have to step foot into DMV

Thanks, RanMan72. Sorry so late in getting back but I thought I signed up for notification of replies and did not receive one that you had. So I decided to check directly.

I've seen the ads online for these verification places and they don't seem to post fees. I only found one that listed a price and that said $95 and I don't want to pay that much unless I absolutely have to. Who is the vehicle verification aimed at satisfying? The prospective owner or the state? Or both?

Each year my registration has my VIN number on it and that matches the one on the car. If I have a new title and the VIN number matches that on past registrations, will that satisfy a prospective buyer as constituting "clear title" or not? And, if so, would the state be OK without the added step of verification?

Thanks.