no spark

cgovia

My friend has a early hardbody with a vg30 carb it has no spark we changed the coil and the small box that goes to the coil theres power comming from the box on the black and white wire dont know much about it maybe some one can shed some light on it and thats why I own a 620 less headaces

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the CAS getting power? I dunno much about these either, but sounds like you're getting power to the ignitor and coil, but they are getting the spark signal.

Shootz,

Brian

There is a self diagnostic test that will display any fault codes stored in the ECU memory.

To read the codes:

locate ECU under pass seat

make sure the diagnostic mode selector is set to OFF

turn ignition ON (not running)

both inspection lamps Red and Green should stay ON

turn mode selector to ON

lamps should display code 23 and 24 (that's 2 red and 3 green flashes then 2 red and 4 green flashes)

depress gas pedal and release

only a code 24 should display

depress clutch and shift into any gear and back out of gear... same with automatic.

only code 44 should display NOTE: if any other code is displayed record the number. Reds are tens and Green are units. Code 44 should be 4 Red and 4 Green.

Memory erasing:

turn diagnostic mode switch to OFF

wait 2 seconds, turn ignition switch off.

END

Codes

11 crank angle sensor*

12 air flow meter

13 water temperature sensor

21 ignition signal

23 idle switch

24 neutral & clutch/auto inhibitor switch

32 start signal

42 throttle sensor

43 injector

44 self diagnostic check... OK

Forgot to mention earlier that the VG30i will be throttle body injection not carb. Not that it matters much if it isn't running. I know almost nothing about the TBI system. At a guess I would say there may be no power to these sensors from the ECU . Maybe check all the fuses in the fuse box, sorry I can't narrow it down more I don't have the proper diagrams for the Hardbody.

These aren't like older models. Everything is electronic sensors. Even the 'distributor' has a wheel with 360 marks on it with a photo cell and it tells the ECU and it knows within 1 degree where the crank is while running and constantly adjusts the timing. Your friend has already changed the coil. Before he throws more money and parts at it he should figure out what's wrong.

Because the ECU stores codes the ones you got could be 10 years old... run the test again after cranking the motor over with everything connected up. This will set fresh error codes.