84 720 No running tail lights?

Hey all.  My running lights on my 720 seem to have stopped working.  I'm a bit confused because the dual filament bulbs are fine.  I still have brake lights, turn signals, headlights, hazards, and my cabin lamp,  Anyone else experience this?  I switched the fuse just in case and the problem is still there

thanks, nick

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front parking lamps, front and rear side markers, tail (running) lights, license light and dash lights are all from the same place on the headlamp switch.

At the rear behind the license plate there is a black ground wire bolted to the underside of the box. At the fron,t follow the negative cable from the battery... it should be bolted to the body before continuing on to the intake manifold. It's possible the cable was replaced by a previous owner and this important body ground removed. You can make up a 12 gauge ground cable from the engine to the body sheet metal. Make sure it is solid and making good contact.

Last is the lighting switch. The running lights should come on at the first lighting position and stay on at the second position when the headlamps come on.

thank you for the response, It ended up being a short in the 6 pin connector that goes from the lights along the frame.

In terms of the light switch though I never get anything in the first position on my light switch, only the second.  any idea why?

You said you swapped the fuse, no mention that it was blown. If it was a short it would have blown repeatedly and this would have been a clue to the problem.

Probably the contacts inside the switch. Bit of bother but if you split the clam shell and remove the steering wheel you can access the switch. Spray contact cleaner/lube maybe?