Datsun manual Gearbox models #s

Datsun fan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing is to know what you are looking for and how to identify the one you want from all the others. Knowing what other vehicles may have used the same tranny will give you more options too.

What vehicle is it in, what motor is it bolted to? Do you have a picture of it? Perhaps I can identify it.

Thanks Datzenmike for the response , Since I'm familiar with auto trannies I guessed manual trannies should have model #s engraved on the sides of them but I was wrong .

OK I think I can send some pics and the length of some tranny in trying to know models .

I'm especially need to know model and gear ratios of 4-speed manual tranny came with Nissan E12 engine with carb ( it is just like A12 engine ) , is it F4W71A or F4W71B or another model . What diff ratio came with this setup in the Nissan pickup ( I don't know the car's model ) .

thnx

Total guess... FS5W63A Dogleg. Put shifter in upper left and turn input shaft if the output spline turns backward it's a dogleg. Hard to tell in the picture but looks like it will fit an L series motor.

Look like this one?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transDogleglongtail63afroman810L-1.jpg[/img]"]transDogleglongtail63afroman810L-1.jpg

The FS5W63A was used on larger displacement 'A' series motors as well as 'L' series. Probably Z series too.

Edited by datzenmike

Thanks DMike it does look like that and i have had it bolted to an L series so i know that it bolts up. The mount has just had some spacers welded on it between the body and the cross member. With these transmissions does the drive line need to be modified?

Did you check if reverse is in the upper left where 1st normally is?

It's probably for an L series motor... could you take a picture from behind the shifter looking forward. A Z series dogleg would also bolt to an L motor, but would be tilted to the driver's side.

F4W63 =

speedo on driver's side (the only L series tranny to do so)

heavily ribbed case

removable bottom pan with drain bung

may have flange output for bolt on drive shaft or slide in spline

likely 26.3" long but could be 31.5"

Here's a picture of a short and a long 'L' series F4W63 trannys.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/trans4speedlongandshort.jpg[/img]"]trans4speedlongandshort.jpg

What motor bolts to it, do you know. Can you post a picture of it from above and behind the shifter.