240Z brakes & master cylinder help

BACKWOODS DAVE

Ok, so I did a search here and could not find to much info on the brake upgrade, so i went elswhere. But I still need some questions answered so I came back to my favorite source. I have a 240Z that I am going to start in on and I need better brakes so it looks like the Toyota fronts with the zx rears are the most straight forward and painless option. But I need to know if by doing the rear discs also a different master cylinder is manditory? Also do I need a proportioning valve to boot? Or is there a all in one option? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For street use you won't need a" p " valve, But they don't cost much so you might want to put one in just in case, You will really want to do the rear disc conversion. Don't run the big yota brakes and stock rear drums. WAAAY to much front brake, :eek: Believe me I know, The master cyl. I have the same one my 240 came with no problems. I have the front brake spacer if your going to use a vented rotor from the 280ZX. I would if your going to upgrade the brake system.

I also have a set of jim cook rear brackets for the disc s/u

nice, thanks for the info, I plan on doin front and rear but I haven't started gathering the parts yet. wanted to see if I was going to need a M/C or not. So now I guess its time to start gathering. I will let you know on the rotors and brackets after I talk to my bother tonight. Also I will snap some photos of the beast and post soon.

nice, thanks for the info, I plan on doin front and rear but I haven't started gathering the parts yet. wanted to see if I was going to need a M/C or not. So now I guess its time to start gathering. I will let you know on the rotors and brackets after I talk to my bother tonight. Also I will snap some photos of the beast and post soon.

Yea some pic's, me like Z cars :lol:

I got some shots of the car but there not the best because I was in the shop. I will post a few here but I am going to start a thread in the project section. As for the brackets and rotors, we're going fab the brackets and look for rotors locally. heres a couple pics.065.jpg[/img]

064.jpg[/img]

058.jpg[/img]

050.jpg[/img]

051.jpg[/img]

you may want to look into doing the master. i dunno bout the 240 master, but does it have a residual valve in it, or is it inline for the 240's. if so it will cause rear brake drag. not much, but it will casue hot brakes and they will wear out faster. if its inline, then just take it out. what about a zx master?? they are built for discs at all corners.

and when you research the Toyota upgrade, be sure you understand the difference between the Toyota caliper used for a vented vs solid rotor. You may do the upgrade on your factory front solid rotor or there are options to change it out to a vented rotor and then use the Toyota caliper which is wider to go around the vented rotor. That is just for better cooling.