brake fluid in the power steering!

khargis

Hey y'all. Totally made a bonehead move and accidentally put brake fluid in my power steering. It has been in there for about 5 days. I drained the power steering reservoir, but what should I do next. How bad of a f#@$ up is this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kris

1985 720 2.4

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all brake seals and flex hoses were rubber and why brake fluid is not a petroleum base product.

Either way just flush out with lots of PS or Dexron ATF. If the pump runs dry, raise the front wheels off the ground, start engine and turn lock to lock and shut off. Top up if needed. Start and turn lock to lock and shut off. Check level and add if needed. It object is to use the engine and pump as little as possible to prevent excessive foaming but at the same time push all the foam and air back out into the reservoir. If there is severe foaming, just let sit overnight. When finished you should have your power steering hydraulics back and the reservoir filled to the warm line.  

• Like 2

Thank you for the feedback. I have a couple questions, but first I have drained the reservoir and also used a turkey baster to get residual fluid out. I have added PS and drained and basted reservoir again. Is the return hose the one that is coming out of the reservoir? When I run engine, should I have that disconnected from the rigid steel tubing that runs along underneath to the drivers side power steering unit? Also, when you say start engine and turn lock to lock and shut off - what is turn lock to lock? How will I know if the pump runs dry?

Sorry for all the questions and hope you can have some mercy! Thank you in advance.

Kris

Either way just flush out with lots of PS or Dexron ATF. If the pump runs dry, raise the front wheels off the ground, start engine and turn lock to lock and shut off. Top up if needed. Start and turn lock to lock and shut off. Check level and add if needed. It object is to use the engine and pump as little as possible to prevent excessive foaming but at the same time push all the foam and air back out into the reservoir. If there is severe foaming, just let sit overnight. When finished you should have your power steering hydraulics back and the reservoir filled to the warm line.  

• Like 1

I must strongly disagree.  I can't find anything to support DOT fluid dissolving or not being compatible with rubber.

Many people call lots of stuff 'rubber'. Such as Viton, Neoprene, Urethane silicon and so on. I mean rubber the shit that grows on trees or the synthetic ... whatever tires and seals are made of. Rubber will dissolve in petroleum products for sure.

• Like 1

Of course not. ATF or PS fluid it just that, and DOT brake fluid is brake fluid. Both are different... I was saying that it shouldn't affect anything like the 'rubber' seals any more than if you had dumped water in by mistake. Just flush it out, refill and bleed the system. 

• Like 2